Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6000
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My HP Officejet 6000 won't print.  We just installed a new black  ink cartridge.  The color ink cartridges are low but we don't print in color so we don't change them.  When we try to print something, the computer recognizes the printer and it appears that it sends the job to the printer because the status shows 'printing',  but nothing happens.  It seems like the message isn't being received by the printer at all because the printer doesn't move.  The printer is turned on and the lights show that it's working.  Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Rachel999

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Are you able to copy in black?

Let's run the HP Print and Scan Doctor:

Use this link for details on using the HP Print and Scan doctor: https://hp.care/2JyaC93

If the issue persists, let's do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.)  Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestions and I tried both with no luck.

The HP print and scan doctor told me there was an issue with the ink cartridges so I took them all out and out them back in to make sure they were installed properly.

I then uninstalled and reinstalled the software and that didn't work either.  I got an HP Installation Error for Windows 8 with instructions to run any windows updates and uninstall and reinstall the software and that didn't work either.

Black is the only ink cartridge that's full and it won't print at all, even when I select to print in black and white.  Do all the other ink cartridges need to be full in order for the printer to operate?  It never seemed to matter before.

When I go to print, it appears that the printer and the computer connection works and the job says 'printing' but nothing comes out.  I tried the HP solutions center again and I just get a message that the cartridges are bad.

Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

Are you able to copy in black? If you insert your old black ink cartridge, do you get any error message?

For printing from the Computer, try these steps: 

Try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and Printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No, the printer will not print in black and I don't have the empty black toner cartridge.

Thank you for the other suggestions but they're not working either.  I've tried them all step by step and ran the HP Scan and Print Doctor and all it says is to replace the toner cartridge, it doesn't show that anything else is wrong.

When I try to print a test page or a random document from the printer, the status shows 'printing' when I open up the printer from the desktop but nothing happens.  It seems like the printer doesn't pick up the job.

It's been awhile since the last time we printed anything but I don't remember having this problem .

It's q

HP Recommended

I must have hit submit before I was ready!

It's quite possible that our computer is the actual issue and not the printer.

If you have any other suggestions, I'd be happy to try them but if not, I understand and it might be time for both a new computer and printer!

You've been very  helpful - thank you!

HP Recommended

Are you able to copy in black? If you've a any other new black ink, do try that.

Try the steps from here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-6000-printer-series-e609/3866939/model/3866950/doc...

For printing from the Computer: 

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)

2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right-click the printer and left-click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.

3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.

4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you again for the suggestions but none of them worked 😞 .  I still cannot print in black ink - which is all I need to do.  You've been really helpful directing me to all relevant sources for assistance and I'm not sure if there's anything else I should be trying.

Thank you so much for all your help.

HP Recommended

Are you able to copy in black? If you've a any other new black ink, do try that.

Are you able to atleast print/copy in color?

Let us know and you're most welcome 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I cannot print in black or color. I’ve tried and replaced  different cartridges but it still doesn’t work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.