Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 6100
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My HP Officejet 6100 has suddenly started to always print using the Magenta cartridge unless I specify "print using black only".  I've cleaned and aligned the cartridges, switched the printer off at the power and checked online for a solution, all to no avail.  The print qaulity is good ... it's just that unless it's pure black there's a pink tinge to it !

It's running wireless being driven by differnet Windows 7 PCs, non of which have recently been updated or changed in any way.

Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Username_itaken

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Does this happen while copying too?

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic Page:

1. Load plain white paper into the paper tray.

2. Press the Power button () to turn on the product, if it is not already on.

3. Press and hold the Power button () while you perform the following button presses:

1. Press the Cancel button (seven times.

2. Press the Resume button (two times.

4. Release the Power button (). The test page prints

Let me know how this report looks.

Check the print quality settings:

1. In the software program you are trying to print from, click File, or click the Microsoft Office Button (), and then click Print. The Print dialog box opens.

2. Select your product from the Name drop-down list, and then click Properties. The Properties dialog box opens.

3. Click the Paper/Quality tab.

4. Review the following options, and then make any necessary changes.

• Paper size: Make sure that the selected option matches your paper size.

• Media: If one of the options matches your paper type exactly, select that option.

• Quality Settings: If you are dissatisfied with the quality of your printouts, increase the print quality. To print more quickly, decrease the print quality.

5. Click OK to apply the settings, and then click OK again to start the print job.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Test Page

Thanks for the reply Betty, above is a picture of the test pattern printed after I followed your instructions.  I'd already checked the print settings and they all looked as expected.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I'm unable to see the photo. Does this happen while copying too?

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Apologies for the delay in replying, I've been away.  I'm not sure why the upload didn't work but I've tried it again. 

Diagnostic Page.jpg

HP Recommended

Does this happen while copying too?

Please try changing the ink cartridges as well.

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There is no "copying" function on the HP OfficeJet 6100 ?

As I already had them as spares I've changed the Yellow and Cyan, it's different but still not correct !

After new Yellow & Cyan.jpg

HP Recommended

Change the Magenta ink cartridge too 🙂 Let me know.

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I already had the Cyan and Yellow cartridges in stock so was happy to fit them, however I'm not about to buy another cartridge on the off chance it might work !  The Magenta cartridge is genuine and has 70% ink left in, unlike the previous Cyan and Yellow ones, so I don't see how it will help to change it ?  As the latest Diagnostic Page clearly shows the problem is that the Magenta print head is active every time any colour print head is actioned, hence no pure Cyan or Yellow.

Can the printer be made to function without a Magenta cartridge for test purposes ?

HP Recommended

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.