Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Do I have to replace them? I want to print in black and white not color so how can I fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Many IIC printers won't print (work) when having one (any) ink cartridge depleted. Some still can print but at a tiny snail speed. In short, you have to buy new color ink.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Many IIC printers won't print (work) when having one (any) ink cartridge depleted. Some still can print but at a tiny snail speed. In short, you have to buy new color ink.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
that really sucks but thanks anyway
HP Recommended

There is no way to do this without HP gauging you for more money (more ink cartridges)  It's an insult to our intelligence. 

I will never buy an HP product again. 

HP Recommended

I bought two 6600 printers. They say I ran out of color ink when I don't use color.  It happens with both. Why does this happen? Further it freezed all other uses. I have had many HP printers without problem. I this problem is by design I will stop buying HP printers.

HP Recommended

@banhien wrote:

Hi,

Regards.

This may solve the probelm, but it is a sad statement about how customers are treated.

HP Recommended

I agree with your sentiments 100%. I am sitting here with no printing capability because my 6600 is out of "magenta" even though I have only printed about 15 color pages (and none since the message initially informed me I was "low"). I called HP support as I couldn't print in B&W and they told me I won't be able to until I replace the color cartridge. It is a terrible design and HP should be ashamed. If I had a business and you had to buy 3 useless items in order to use the one you wanted, I would go out of business! To add insult to injury, I have had to replace my ink cartridges twice in 6 months and I bet I don't print 5 pages of anything a week.  Bye bye HP.

HP Recommended

My HP6600 burns thru color ink way too fast.

And when the yellow or other color is out I can't even print in BLACK ONLY

is there a setting I am missing to perform black only printing?

Is there something I am doing wrong for color usage - I have on draft mode and print black only resolution black/color, quality - draft, 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.