Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Example: HP Officejet 6600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Officejet 6600 - getting printhead appears to be missing, not detected or incorrectly installed.

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

@sacmb

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

Please perform a printer reset

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.
(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
 NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed

Then update the Firmware from this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a great day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you - I tried the printer reset and to install the current firmware, I already have the most current firmware and the problem still persists.  Any other suggestions will be appreciated.   

HP Recommended

@sacmb

Thanks for keeping me posted

This is a Hardware issue

I have sent you a private message with the next course of action

Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi -- I have the exact same issue and tried the disconnect solution you suggested, and also changed all of my ink cartridges one at a time. The printer still gives me the same error message. Help?

HP Recommended

@madtheop

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I appreciate all your efforts and expertise in troubleshooting this issue

Have you updated the Firmware already?

If the issue persists after the Firmware update,please follow the instructions I sent you in the private message

Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Same problem as described here. Have done the turn off / unplug / restart.  Have validated firmware is current.  I see detail instruction on how to resolve this for OfficeJet 6500, can applicable instructions be shared on this forum please?

HP Recommended

@TomByr,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support community!

Let's try these steps:

Step 1: Use Genuine HP ink cartridges.

Step 2: Power Reset. (Ignore this step if you have performed reset after removing the ink cartridges).

• Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector.
  • Turn the printer on.
  • Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  • Remove all of your ink cartridges from the printer and close the door.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  • Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on. The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
  • Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
  • Reinsert the ink cartridges, and then close the ink cartridge access door.

If you receive a prompt to print a calibration page, do so. If the error persists, continue to next step.

Step 3: Check estimated ink levels

• Follow step 3 under this link to check the estimated ink levels.

Step 4: Clean the ink cartridge vents and contacts.

• Gather the following materials: A pin to clean any clogged vents, A clean, lint-free cloth, A clean & dry cotton swab, Distilled or bottled water.
  • Turn on the printer, and then open the ink cartridge access door.
  • Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you proceed.
  • Press the tab on the front of the ink cartridge to release it, and then remove it.

Removing an ink cartridge from the printhead

• Place the ink cartridges on a clean piece of paper with the ink opening face up.
  • If an orange tab is attached to any of the ink cartridges, remove it.

Example of the orange tab

• Examine the vent area located on top of the ink cartridge, next to the HP logo. If any of the ink cartridges have clogged vents, use a pin to clean the vents.

Example of the vent area

• Use a fresh, lightly dampened, lint-free cloth to wipe any accumulated ink and debris on the copper-colored contact on the ink cartridge.

Example of the copper-colored contact on the ink cartridge

• Reinsert the ink cartridges into the matching letter and colored dot slot, and then push the ink cartridge down and forward until it snaps into place.

Example of sliding the ink cartridge into the correct slot              Example of snapping the ink cartridge into place

• Run your finger along the top of the ink cartridges to make sure none of them protrude. If any ink cartridges protrude, press down firmly until each ink cartridge snaps into place.
  • Close the ink cartridge access door, and then check the control panel display for the error message.
  • If the error message persists, skip to the step to manually clean the printhead.
  • If the error message has cleared, print a document, and then check the print quality.
    • If the print quality is acceptable, the issue is resolved and there is no need to continue troubleshooting.

Step 5: Clean the printhead with an automated tool.

• Follow step 5 from this link.

Try to print/copy and check if it works

Let me know if this helps.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Followed the steps 1-4 no problem.  It does provide temporary fix.  Step 6 does not seem to be correct for HP Office Jex 6600.  I do not see any lever to release to remove / clean the print head.  Are the images in the suggested fix appropriate for Officejet 6600?

HP Recommended

@TomByr,

Glad to know that the issue has been fixed and you are correct, this printer does not seem to have a removable printhead. So you can ignore this step.

If the issue occurs again please try Steps 1-5.

Try using the printer and check how it goes. Should you need any further help, please feel free to contact us again.

Cheers!

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.