Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I am getting the message "The printhead appears to be missing, not detected, or incorrectly installed."  I have an HP Officejet 6700 Premium.  

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@TUCK3 Welcome to HP Forums!

"The printhead appears to be missing, not detected, or incorrectly installed" - error message displays on the printer control panel or computer, indicating an ink system failure. The printer does not print.

Resetting the printer can reset the connection with the printhead and clear any error messages.

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: 

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

• If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.

• If the issue persists, let me know.

I hope that answers your query,

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you.  I tried that procedure, but the error message didn't go away.

HP Recommended

@TUCK3 That would mean that there's a hardware malfunction on your device, perhaps you could let me know if your device is under warranty and if it's not, send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from and I'll help you accordingly.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My HP Officejet 6700 printhead appears to be missing, tried the reset as suggested and it works every now and then, but I want a permanent solution, because now I reset every second day.

HP Recommended

@Steezy20, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If you have already performed the steps from the document HP Printers - Resolving Printhead Errors and the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried disconnecting power cord that didnt work, any other suggestions

thanks

HP Recommended

I have the same problem & it would appear I need to get my printer fixed or buy a new 1.  Since I don't have a car here in Portland, OR I wonder if you know of people who would make house calls for fixing the thing; if not, what's the most compatible new printer for an HP Pavilion HPE desktop w/ a Windows 10 upgrade?

HP Recommended

@JoeTheHPMan, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

If you have tried the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the previous posts and the issue persists, I'm afraid it is a hardware issue with the printer. HP does not have an option for Onsite support. To know any details for a compatible printer, you may visit HP Store

For more info on troubleshooting errors related to the printhead, refer to this document.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.