Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6968
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am unable to use 3rd party ink on the HP OfficeJet 6968 due to the April 2019 Firmware Update. How do I turn off this feature?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK thanks, not helpful at all. Going forward I will advise my clients its best not to purchase HP products if we are going to be locked out from buying affordable ink. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@SentryKnight

Welcome to the HP Community

April 2019 printer  Firmware includes dynamic security measures, which may prevent supplies with non-HP chips or circuitry from working now or in the future. More at www.hp.com/go/learnaboutsupplies.

HP does not have an option to downgrade the firmware on the printer.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

OK thanks, not helpful at all. Going forward I will advise my clients its best not to purchase HP products if we are going to be locked out from buying affordable ink. 

HP Recommended

@SentryKnight

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I am also having this issue. I can understand loading new firmware for security purposes. However it is not right to block our ability to use a different brand of ink besides HP. Has anything done to reverse this?

Thanks,

Tara

HP Recommended

Hi Raj, any update on this yet? I noticed an update being pushed through ....I still cannot use third party ink. 

HP Recommended

I have this issue too.,  This is very frustrating, I can't believe HP would lock me out of what I choose to buy.  Please provide a fix. 

On this same community there is a post on the topic from an HP employee (Bill_F) he says the following:

"HP believes in fair competition and does not employ technology preventing the use of refilled and remanufactured cartridges."

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.