Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Office Jet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, our office has an HP OfficeJet 8710 Printer.  It seems the control panel was locked with an admin password.  Our IT Person did not set a password on the printer.  How can we reset the printer back to Factory Defaults to set the printer back up on our network?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JPForth

Feel free to get in touch with us. Good luck and take care!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@JPForth

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help. I understand that your HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 printer is locked with an admin password and you would like to unlock it. I recommend you to perform a semi-full reset on the printer by following the below steps:

Note: Please view page no. 7 from this user guide http://hp.care/2cmLguo if you want to know the control panel buttons:

Support Menu >Resets Menu>Partial Reset

1. Press Power button to turn the Printer On.
  2. Press BL, BL, BL, BL Buttons, in sequence.
  3. Touch Support Menu.
  4. Select Reset Menu and Touch OK.
  5. Select Partial Reset and Touch OK.
  6. Wait for unit to Power Down/Turn Off.
  7. Press Power button to turn the Printer On.

Feel free to let me know the outcome. Cheers! 

HP Recommended

@MKazi

Thank you for the fast response!  What is BL button that you reference in step 2?  The user guide you referenced doesn't clearly define that button. 

Thanks

@JPForth

HP Recommended

@JPForth

You are welcome. 🙂 BL is for bottom left. This is in reference to the four sides of the printer screen. Cheers!

HP Recommended
Ah, gotcha. I'll give it a try next time it out at the office doing support. Will reply back when successful.

Thanks
HP Recommended

@JPForth

Feel free to get in touch with us. Good luck and take care!

HP Recommended

I've missplaced my username and password for the HP8610 printer.  I tried logging via the Printer control panel as well as the web-based URL.  Is there a way to reset this feature?  If so, how?

Any help is much appreciated.

Kind regards.

HP Recommended

What are the BL buttons you are referring to??  Never mind!  just saw follow up post.

HP Recommended

Thank you this really helped. It worked and has solved my problem of the printer being locked down by admin.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.