Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 6968
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have a HP Office Jet Pro 6869 that will not print in color. Changed ink cartridges. Unistalled and reinstalled. Prints black and white only. I have owned for approx. 6 months has worked fine up to the last few days. Can't find any answers online from HP.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @DT1-_,

Good Day. Thank you for taking an interest in the HP community. I understand that you require assistance with printing issues as it does not print in color. I will be really glad to assist you here.

Fabulous description and superb diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did you print the print quality report and check if color gets printed?
  • Did you make copies in color directly from the printer?

For now, try these steps:

• Please make 2 copies in color directly from the printer without any communication from the computer.
  • Then check if it prints these copies in color.
  • If it does not, then perform all the relevant steps from this link: http://hp.care/2i3zmJD  for (HP OfficeJet Pro 6900 Printers - Fixing Poor Print Quality)

Then check if it resolved. If the problem continues, contact HP phone support to get the printer replaced as it is a hardware issue.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://hp.care/2r9wSvP

• Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. 

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same issue. I just replace ink with new HP ink and my printer is no longer printing color. I've followed your instructions in the above post with no luck. Is there a way to be in contact with customer service over email instead of phone. 

Also, what are my options, if any, if my printer is past warranty?

HP Recommended

My mother-in-law's printer had the same problem (including copying/printing directly from the printer with no computer).  It would only print in black and white.  We tried restarting it, restoring to factory settings, and replacing/resetting the cartridges.  Then on a whim, from the computer we tried forcing it to print once in grayscale, and then printing again in color.  That did the trick!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.