Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This printer, just like it's predecessor (a 7500?) keeps going offline. I have to power cycle it, every morning. EVERY MORNING. Very annoying. Scan/Print doctor can't communicate with it. No fixy. I power cycle it, and it's fine for the rest of the day. Then the next morning, "can not communicate with printer."  This is extremely annoying. 

I have looked all over the internet and all "answers" lead to Print and Scan Doctor, which, as I say, also can not talk to the printer. Can this be fixed? Is there some other answer than "Print and Scan Doctor?" 

Phil -- at Computer Maestros
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@ComputerMaestro 

Hello,

In order to solve this incident, please update the printer's firmware.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/oj7740/1912a/OJ7740_1912A.exe

If the printer is connected to the wireless network or Ethernet, please update the printer's firmware as follows:

1. On the printer's front panel display, touch the Wireless icon () to retrieve the printer's IP address.
  2. Launch a web page, then type this address in the address bar and Enter. The printer's web interface opens.
  3. Click Tools, then expand the Printer Updates, and then click Firmware Updates.
  4. Click the Check Now button to install the latest firmware update.

I remain at your disposal in case of need.

Best regards,:Wink:

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

HP Recommended

James Level 2, you need to choose a different font. "❙ - 8 8 8 - 6 🔾 5 - 🔾 8 🔾 ❙" is not a phone number, at least not that I can dial. 🙂

Thanks, I'm going to try the firmware upgrade first that was suggested by "Mans"

HP Recommended

@ComputerMaestro

Please do not call any numbers provided by non HP employees. There will be an indicator next to their logo if they are employed and working in the platform. Anything else is spam. 

Regards,

Arthur-c 

HP Recommended

@ComputerMaestro 

Thank for your return,

Thanks so much @Arthur-c.

If the printer firmware is updated and the issue persists, I recommend that you Contact HP in your country/region.

Please do not hesitate to solicit us in case of need.

Regards,:Wink:

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

HP Recommended

Well... that didn't work. It goes out and searches for printers, then shows something by serial number (really?? Did some software designer really think that would be useful??) but that one-and-only listing is grayed out and not selectable. So, not certain it's the right printer (though it's only that one or a Brother laser, so Occam's razor suggests it is), and can't work with it anyway. But "Scan and Printer Doctor" couldn't contact it at all, really I have no confidence in any interpretation of these results, so far at least.  

When going to the printer's control panel (tools -> printer maintenance -> update printer) it says it's all up to date. No specific mention of firmware, though, on the printer's control panel. 

I say unto thee, "Pfui!"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.