Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Two weeks ago, I setup a HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus using both USB & ethernet cabled connections . . . Everything works fine on all devices - iPad, iPhone, MacBook Pro, Win7 desktop & Win7 laptops ... until the printer goes to sleep.  We don't print every day, so it can be a few days between printing / scanning.

As I've been keeping an eye out for this, it has happened twice now, it may take a couple of days before the printer stops responding.  When the Windows 7 laptops need to print, the printer doesn't always respond until we power cycle it.  The IP hasn't changed on the printer & the HP Update software says everything is up-to-date.

From what I can tell, the other devices - Win 7 desktop, iPad, iPhone & MacBook Pro don't appear to have the problem. 

Win 7 Laptop 1 - WiFi connection to AP w/ ethernet cable to printer

Win 7 Laptop 2 - ethernet cable to AP w/ ethernet cable to printer

Win 7 Desktop - USB Cable to printer

MacBook Pro - ethernet cable to AP w/ ethernet cable to printer

iPad/iPhone - WiFi connection to AP w/ ethernet cable to printer

Printer Firmware Version - CLP1CN1232AR

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Set a static IP in the printer outside the DHCP range of the router.  Use a fixed wireless channel like 1,6 or 11 never 'auto'.   Power off both.  Power on router wait 2 mins.  Power on printer and connect.  Now try.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Set a static IP in the printer outside the DHCP range of the router.  Use a fixed wireless channel like 1,6 or 11 never 'auto'.   Power off both.  Power on router wait 2 mins.  Power on printer and connect.  Now try.

HP Recommended

I moved and the 8600 was working fine in my other location. Now I'm using a different router and get a the signal on the machine that it is set up but it won't respond to print, etc.  I saw someting about an IP address but I'm not to savy with computers. What did I miss? Thanks for showing an old dog new tricks.

Please help.

HP Recommended

Hey Gary6,

There are a few things one can do in this case.  The first step I would advise is making sure the printer has a solid signal with the new network setup.

STEP 1

• Press the Right Arrow on the front display of the printer
  • Select the Setup Menu indicated by a Gear and a Wrench
  • Select the Network submenu
  • Scroll to the bottom of the list and select Restore Network Defaults
  • Once this is done, then power cycle the printer and the router by the steps below.

Follow these steps to reset your HP printer, your wireless router, and your computer.

1. Press the Power button on the HP printer to turn it off.
  2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the HP printer.
  3. Disconnect the power cord from the wireless router.
  4. Turn off the computer.
  5. Wait 30 seconds.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the wireless router.
  7. Wait 30 seconds, or until the router is fully on and ready.
  8. Turn the computer back on.
  9. Wait for the computer to reload.
  10. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the HP printer.
  11. Turn the printer back on.

At this point the printer will not be connected to a network and will be at a factory wireless state.  Now select the Setup menu again.

• Select the Network submenu
  • Scroll down to Wireless Setup Wizard
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to connect the printer to your current network and create a new stable connection

Now press the Home button in the top left of the touch screen display (looks like a small house).  At the top of the touch screen you will see the wireless icon, circled in red in the picture below.

frontdisplay8600.jpg

By pressing this icon your printer will display the network configuration settings.  On this you will find the IP address of the printer.  Write this information down as you will need it on your computer.  Go to the computer and proceed to the next step.

STEP 2

I am guessing you are using a Windows based PC if not please let me know and I can provide other steps.

• Click the Start menu of your PC
  • Select the All Programs option
  • Select the HP Folder
  • Open the folder for the 8600 series printer inside the HP Folder
  • Select the option labeled: Printer Setup and Software
  • A window will open and contain a few options.  One of these options is to Update IP Address.
  • Selecting this feature will provide you with an option to type in the new IP address and select Search.
  • Once the printer is found it will change Search to Save.

After this is complete try to print again to the 8600 and let me know the result.

Hope this helps,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you Jason.  Your recommended fix worked for me.  I am back in business.

HP Recommended

Good to hear!  I am glad the steps were able to resolve your network issue and you are back to printing as intended.

I wish you the best in all your future printing needs, PilgrimHouse.

Happy Printing,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Jason,  I just fixed my connection with your instructions.  Thanks.  Is there any way to prevent a reoccurance of the dropped connection in the future.  I've read it has something to do with a sleep function on the HP.

HP Recommended

I've been having similar problems with this NEW HP6600 that is USB connected to a PC running Windows XP

If the printer "goes to sleep" and a document or other print job is sent to the printer, the HP8600 does not wake up.

When the printer queue is opened, you can see the document pending and that it is "Printing" when in fact, it is not.

When an attempt is made to delete pending jobs, the hour glass just stays on.  You have to exit out of that queue window.

Pressing the panel to wake the printer doesn't work.....I have to power-down the printer and restart it.

When that is done, and there happens to be a job left in the printer queue, it prints after power-up.

That part alone is unsettling.

I just got done spending 3 months dealing with On-Line Help sessions to return an HP6600 that was only 6 months old and was dtermined to be faulty and just quit working.  I bought this HP8600 on the first sign of uncorrectable trouble with the 6600 and was eager to get the problems with the 6600 behind me.  I sent the HP6600 in for a refund just 4 days ago.

Despite reassurances from the "experts" at Office Depot I'm beginning to think that maybe this wasn't the machine to buy.  I'm just hoping and praying that the same thing isn't going to happen with this on.

If you have sage advice or a remedy that would cure this problem, I sure would appreciate it.

gatz

HP Recommended

Hi Jason, I know, read all the way through first, then start. I didn't. I'm on a Mac. The same thing is happening to me. The  HP8600 printer is dropping the network connection. I went through step one only to find out that step 2 is for a PC. I'm a Mac. Can you help me out with step 2 for a Mac?

A question - when I press the home button I get the IP address for the network, not the computer. Or are they the same?

Thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.