Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911a
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

My officejet is not printing Word documents on my Mac or IPad nor is it printing color when photocopying.  I'm using a wireless internet connection.   All the 4 ink cartridges are new and I've uninstalled and reinstalled the recommended drivers for this printer.  I've also double checked to ensure that color printing was not disabled in Word. At this juncture, I'm at a complete loss on resolving this issue and would appreciate any ideas on troubling shooting.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Doogie20

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, MKazi is at your service. 

I understand that your HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer does not print Word documents from your Mac computer the iPad. Also, the printer does not perform a color photocopy. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

Did the printer go through an alignment process after installing the new ink cartridges?

While you respond to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector.
  • Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

Reset the printing system in the Mac OS. The following steps will help:

• Please download the Mac inbuilt drivers from this link: http://apple.co/2uGMBSw
  • • Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.

• Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.

• Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.

• Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.

• Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.

• Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list

• Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.

• Click the “Add button” (+).

• Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer (HP Officejet Pro 8600). Do not select an HP Fax driver.

Click “Print Using...” or “Use”, and then select Secure AirPrint or AirPrint. Alternatively, you may select the name of your printer if available in that list.

Now you may attempt to print the Word documents.

Secondly, please perform the steps mentioned in this HP document to fix no color printing issue:

• Step 5: Check the print settings
  • Step 7: Check the estimated ink levels
  • Step 9: Print a Print Quality Diagnostics report
  • Step 10: Examine Test Pattern 1
  • Step 11: Align the printhead
  • Step 12: Examine Test Pattern 2
  • Step 13: Clean the printhead

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know how this goes. 

All the best! 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Doogie20

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, MKazi is at your service. 

I understand that your HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer does not print Word documents from your Mac computer the iPad. Also, the printer does not perform a color photocopy. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

Did the printer go through an alignment process after installing the new ink cartridges?

While you respond to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector.
  • Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

Reset the printing system in the Mac OS. The following steps will help:

• Please download the Mac inbuilt drivers from this link: http://apple.co/2uGMBSw
  • • Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.

• Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.

• Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.

• Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.

• Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.

• Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list

• Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.

• Click the “Add button” (+).

• Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer (HP Officejet Pro 8600). Do not select an HP Fax driver.

Click “Print Using...” or “Use”, and then select Secure AirPrint or AirPrint. Alternatively, you may select the name of your printer if available in that list.

Now you may attempt to print the Word documents.

Secondly, please perform the steps mentioned in this HP document to fix no color printing issue:

• Step 5: Check the print settings
  • Step 7: Check the estimated ink levels
  • Step 9: Print a Print Quality Diagnostics report
  • Step 10: Examine Test Pattern 1
  • Step 11: Align the printhead
  • Step 12: Examine Test Pattern 2
  • Step 13: Clean the printhead

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know how this goes. 

All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your very prompt reply and detailed flowchart on fixing this problem!!!  Full color was restored to the Test Pattern only after cleaning the printheads twice.  Color restoration was corroborated by photocoping this Test Pattern and by sending colored text in Word. Life is good again! :manvery-happy: I hope this solution proves of some benefit to others who encounter a similar problem. Trust me this is a simple fix. I also encourage other forum users to take a few minutes (and deep breath) to carefully detail issues following the forum's guidelines. This will make the HP Support Team's job so much easier to diagnose and resolve.

HP Recommended

@Doogie20

You're most welcome.

I'm glad that the issue is fixed and the printing is fine. You've been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills, remarkable patience and great attitude. Kudos to you for that.

Happy printing! 🙂

HP Recommended

I followed the steps detailed here but still cannot print in color. I have four new genuine HP cartridges.

Help!

HP Recommended

I have followed all the steps outlined below and still am not printing in color from Word on a Mac. 

When I run the print quality report, the magenta is the only one that is not filling the block..its stopping about half way down.  Should I just replace that cartridge?  or is it the printhead?

HP Recommended

how do I print in colour on my HP Officejet Pro 8610 printer

HP Recommended

This happens too often

I have had success with just the following:-

Change the default printer away form the printer causing problems

Then connect it back again

Seems to work

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.