Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Officejet Pro 8610 Blocks Refill Ink. HP Firmw 1828A Aug 2018 Fix Breaks Printer! Update Firmware
I have an Officejet Pro 8610. It used to work good. It's like new since I don't use it much. When refilling color blue ink from Frys, it would show a used cartridge but work. I have replaced the black and other colors.
The last 2 years, it rejects them. They work fine in an Officejet Pro 8600. I had Frys put new chips on them several times, and put it in with newer ones without the cover chip. Still nothing.

I did what this article said last year and again this summer:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8610-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5367603/docum...
It made it worse and broke the printer. It shows a Cartridge problem (the very picture it shows it was supposed to fix - that I didn't even have) and won't work!
If I replace it with a brand new HP ink, the same thing.
All of them work fine in an Officejet Pro 8600.
When I take the whole print cartridge out and put it in the Officejet Pro 8610 that works, but putting the original back in - same problem!

HP, Please update the Firmware to fix this!!
It is very frustrating and I'm ready to throw it away, and replace it with an Epson Ecotank.
It's needed and unusable.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

If I replace it with a brand new HP ink, the same thing.

From your description, it would not be due to Dynamic Security as an HP cartridge is rejected in the same way as you describe, I would not be surprised if this is region related issue.

What country are you from?

When you check the Genuine cartridge, what zone is listed for that cartridge?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05318138

Right-click your start menu and select Run, type control printers and press OK.

Double-click your printer and select HP all-in-one Printer Remote or HP Smart.

Double-click the top printer icon and click on Supplies Status.

What exact zone is listed under Installed Cartridges and what zone is listed under Supported? are those matches?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

HP Officejet Pro 8610.PNGHi,  I'm in the USA and the ink was bought in USA stores.  

It doesn't list countries its for on the box or the cartridges.  

The black 950xl are cn045a.   One of the brand new cartridges that won't work is cn045a c2p01-80004.  We've had it awhile and it says Warranty ends in 2016.  The box doesn't list countries.  Some of the filled colors say warranty ends 2016 or 2018.  Keep in mind, since this has been a big pain the last 3 years, I've tried several black and color cartridges.  They are all blocked on my printer but when I've tried some in the 8600 they work, new or refilled.  

Does the updated firmware block new cartridges that the warranty ended on?  It shouldn't because that's the only one.  

I thought about buying a new one or Sams refill one, but didn't want to spend $40+ on a printer that's not working.  

On the Run Control printer software instructions.  I can check the box, but cannot double click the icon above it to see Supplies.  See attached picture.  

If I go through HP software, I don't see how to get there.  It shows everything else, but not that supply info.  It shows the Printhead health as good.  It reads the refill colors but the black refill or new has an X.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.