Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I wish HP would respond to this.  After upgrading my modem/router, my HP 8710 is now rendered useless AND I NEED TO WRITE CHECKS TO EMPLOYEES.  

Cannot connect to new router.  Is locked by Administrative Lock that I never set.  I cannot reset printer; that function is locked, too.  

Downloaded, installed, and ran HP Print and Scan Doctor 5.0.2.  Didn't help.  

Called help number, but it only referred my to this forum, which hasen't helped yet either.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Try.

1. Press Power button to turn the Printer On.
  2. Press BL, BL, BL, BL Buttons, in sequence. (BL stands for Bottom Left. Normally the button on the bottom left is the back arrow. And you need to do this while the front panel of the printer is on the Home screen)
  3. Touch Support Menu.
  4. Select Reset Menu and Touch OK.
  5. Select Semi-Full Reset and Touch OK.
  6. Wait for unit to Power Down/Turn Off.
  7. Press Power button to turn the Printer On.
    This is what i could find to help solve the problem.
I am A certified Copier Technician.
It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

#################################################################
I'M NOT AN HP EMPLOYEE AND DO ANSWER THESE QUESTION ON MY OWN BEHALF.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

BL stands for bottom left as i just found out.

It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Try.

1. Press Power button to turn the Printer On.
  2. Press BL, BL, BL, BL Buttons, in sequence. (BL stands for Bottom Left. Normally the button on the bottom left is the back arrow. And you need to do this while the front panel of the printer is on the Home screen)
  3. Touch Support Menu.
  4. Select Reset Menu and Touch OK.
  5. Select Semi-Full Reset and Touch OK.
  6. Wait for unit to Power Down/Turn Off.
  7. Press Power button to turn the Printer On.
    This is what i could find to help solve the problem.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro

HP Recommended

In fact, Copier-Pro's solution appears to be correct!!!  However, it was so non-intuitive, that I had to call HP Customer Service anyway and the technician went through all the steps with me.  

What is non-intuitive is that when you are already on the hp8710 home screen, the last thing one would think would be logical is pushing the bottom left (BL) button four times, even when nothing happens after four times.  But if fact, that is what you need to do.  Incidentally, this could be non-intuitive by design.  However, I would recommend in the directions, that you tell all the frustrated HP8710 owners that you need to push the BL button four times EVEN THOUGH you are already on the home screen.  

HP Recommended

I have the same issue, I did the factory reset with the support menu after talking to a HP rep. No matter what after any reset it asks for the login and it shows locks on all features cannot do anything, i need this default username and pw. I also cleared all caches including windows cred manager:

HP Recommended

what did you put in the sec prompt for username and pw?

mine still asks and i tried admin/admin, leave blank, or admin/blank

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try the following to set your printer to Factory Default.

From your Control Panel screen, go to Setting ICONs --> Setup -->Printer Maintenance -->Restore --> Restore Factory Defaults.

Hope this will help you.

Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Please click “Accept as Solution” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the “Thumbs Up” to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Excellent article on how to restore the Network Setting, however the big boondoggle everyone fails to mention is that when a user is on the Home page of the screen, the 'Back' button/icon is not visible.  So you're basically tapping a black portion (bottom-left) of the screen where the 'Back' icon would normally show.

HP Recommended

prt will not let me get into support menu

HP Recommended

prt will not bring up support menu

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.