Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8715
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

We bought this Officejet Pro 8715 about 2 years ago and it was installed through USB without the officejet 8710 Pro software on the CD. It printed fine until recently (two weeks ago) we began seeing the error "the HP printer is in an error state" message.

I went into Control Panel, devices and printers, and deleted the Officejet 8710 from the list. I also deleted any HP printing software from the programs list.  Then i reinstalled the printer wirelessly using the CD that came with the 8715. It also installed the Officejet Pro 8710 software. Documents would still not print, we would still receive the "printer is in an error state" message after trying to print a PDF or webpage.

Then I downloaded and tried the HP Print and Scan doctor software and it detected a firmware issue? It went on to supposedly fix the printer, however it went on to delete the Officejet Pro 8710 software I had installed off the CD. I reinstalled the software and we are still unable to print any webpage or PDF documents.

When trying to print a PDF the error is now "Error printing on HP Officejet Pro 8710 PCL-3 (Network) The printer couldn't print xxx.pdf"

I have seen some posts that says it is best or some HP printers will only print PDFs from Adobe Acrobat reader and the PDF will still not print. The printer is connected to a surge protecter and not directly to the wall. A post mentioned you can see the firmware version on the little screen on the printer yet I don't see it anywhere in the different menus.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Frank

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @franksinatra85

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I understand you are not able to print from your PC wirelessly. I'd be happy to assist you.

Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Try making a standalone copy and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest firmware from your computer.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Use the HP Smart app to print and scan from your Win PC

Click here to download and know more about the app.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar,

Thanks for replying and things have been busy so I am just now getting to try and fix it again. I did a test copy and it printed in black so it does work hardware wise.

I downloaded and ran the latest firmware update OJP8710_2006B.exe and it ran the printer update but detected that it was up to date so I could not update it any further.

I then went into the printer LCD screen, went to settings, printer maintenance, and check for printer updates now. It says the printer is up to date as well.

I'm attaching some screenshots of the error when I try to print the PDF, the results of the latest firmware update OJP8710_2006B.exe, the results of HP print and scan Dr,  and the list of hardware in control panel for printers. 

Thank you

ErrorErrorFirmware up to dateFirmware up to dateHP print and scan DrHP print and scan DrControl panel printersControl panel printers

HP Recommended

Also, do you need the HP Smart App to have the printer properly work and print documents? The only software I have installed is the one that came on the CD: HP Printer Assistant, the icon on the desktop labeled HP Officejet Pro 8710

HP printer assistantHP printer assistant

HP Recommended

@franksinatra85, thank you for the detailed information.

• You may either use the full-featured printer software to print or use the HP Smart app.
  • I also see that all the color ink cartridges are empty, you may have to replace them to resume printing.
  • This printer needs all the ink cartridges to have a minimum amount of ink to print either in black or color.

Let us reinstall the printer drivers on the PC

1.  In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
  2.  Select your HP Printer 
  3.  Select Uninstall 
  4.  In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
  5.  In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
  6.  Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
  7.  Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
  8.  Click on the “Drivers” tab 
  9.  Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
  10.  Select Ok 
  11.  Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
  12.  Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Try printing.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey Kumar,

I did everything you listed to uninstall and delete the printer drivers and then downloaded the HP Full Feature driver package.

Everything installed properly however I still get the printing error when trying to print the PDF.

Printer error after driver reinstallPrinter error after driver reinstall

I am going to try installing new color cartridges and see if that is the reason for the printing error. Hopefully it works but if not, I'm not sure what else to do besides maybe a factory reset of the PC if anything is left on there from the first time installing the printer through USB cable. Maybe there's a conflict between USB and wireless installs? 

Also would be nice if the error specified exactly what was the issue, if it's software, drivers, or ink cartridges etc.

Thanks again, and I'll post back with an update.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.