04-14-2020 12:11 AM
We bought this Officejet Pro 8715 about 2 years ago and it was installed through USB without the officejet 8710 Pro software on the CD. It printed fine until recently (two weeks ago) we began seeing the error "the HP printer is in an error state" message.
I went into Control Panel, devices and printers, and deleted the Officejet 8710 from the list. I also deleted any HP printing software from the programs list. Then i reinstalled the printer wirelessly using the CD that came with the 8715. It also installed the Officejet Pro 8710 software. Documents would still not print, we would still receive the "printer is in an error state" message after trying to print a PDF or webpage.
Then I downloaded and tried the HP Print and Scan doctor software and it detected a firmware issue? It went on to supposedly fix the printer, however it went on to delete the Officejet Pro 8710 software I had installed off the CD. I reinstalled the software and we are still unable to print any webpage or PDF documents.
When trying to print a PDF the error is now "Error printing on HP Officejet Pro 8710 PCL-3 (Network) The printer couldn't print xxx.pdf"
I have seen some posts that says it is best or some HP printers will only print PDFs from Adobe Acrobat reader and the PDF will still not print. The printer is connected to a surge protecter and not directly to the wall. A post mentioned you can see the firmware version on the little screen on the printer yet I don't see it anywhere in the different menus.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
04-16-2020 10:09 AM
Welcome to the HP Support Community. I understand you are not able to print from your PC wirelessly. I'd be happy to assist you.
Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:
Try making a standalone copy and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.
Reset the printer
- With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
- Wait at least 60 seconds.
- Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
- Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
- Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.
Update the printer firmware
Click here to download and install the latest firmware from your computer.
Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.
Use the HP Smart app to print and scan from your Win PC
Click here to download and know more about the app.
Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee
05-10-2020 09:40 PM
Thanks for replying and things have been busy so I am just now getting to try and fix it again. I did a test copy and it printed in black so it does work hardware wise.
I downloaded and ran the latest firmware update OJP8710_2006B.exe and it ran the printer update but detected that it was up to date so I could not update it any further.
I then went into the printer LCD screen, went to settings, printer maintenance, and check for printer updates now. It says the printer is up to date as well.
I'm attaching some screenshots of the error when I try to print the PDF, the results of the latest firmware update OJP8710_2006B.exe, the results of HP print and scan Dr, and the list of hardware in control panel for printers.
05-10-2020 09:57 PM
Also, do you need the HP Smart App to have the printer properly work and print documents? The only software I have installed is the one that came on the CD: HP Printer Assistant, the icon on the desktop labeled HP Officejet Pro 8710
05-11-2020 11:22 PM
@franksinatra85, thank you for the detailed information.
- You may either use the full-featured printer software to print or use the HP Smart app.
- I also see that all the color ink cartridges are empty, you may have to replace them to resume printing.
- This printer needs all the ink cartridges to have a minimum amount of ink to print either in black or color.
Let us reinstall the printer drivers on the PC
- In Windows, search for and open Programs and features
- Select your HP Printer
- Select Uninstall
- In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers
- In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’
- Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
- Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)
- Click on the “Drivers” tab
- Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom
- Select Ok
- Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows
- Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.
Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.
Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.
Let me know how this goes.
I am an HP Employee