Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP PageWide MFP 377dw

I recently purchased the HP PageWide MFP 377dw and was told that I could purchase 972x ink cartriges by the lady at Staples. Why would the printer not accept 972x but will accept 972a when the only difference is the 972x is High Yield? The Setup ink that came with the purchase of the printer lasted me longer than expected and now I am pass my return window. Now i have $547.96 worth of ink that is not working and will have to spend another $309.96 to get the right ink cartridges.

Is there a way to make the 972x cartidges compatible? Is there a software update that will allow the printer to accept these cartidges? Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Phil

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi Phil,

The 972x High Yield cartridges are only intended for the HP PageWide 400 or 500 Series as listed within the Specs tab below:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-972x-high-yield-black-original-pagewide-cartridge

The HP PageWide 300 Series only support Standard Yield cartridges, this is one of the key differences of the 377 comparing the 477 printer, 972x cartridges are not intended for the PW 377 printer.

I suggest returning to Staples as you been provided with Wrong information by their representative snd request to be provided with any applicable solution for the purchased cartridges..

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended
Your answer still does not make sense. It is the same reasoning as saying a Honda Accord EXL and a Honda Accord EX can not use the same type of gasoline.
HP Recommended

I guess it's because you didn't pay enough for the 377. This is a deal breaker for me for sure. If they're not willing to allow the use of the 972X in the 377 I'll stick with my Brother MFC-J6930DW.

HP Recommended

@2dryfly

Hi

Sorry to hear that Staples gives you the wrong information on the Ink cartridge to be used on this printer 377dw.

The correct ink cartridge is 377dw

You could try to ask Staples to allow you for exchange as they gave the wrong information.

or you could go to HP support link

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/home/?cc=us&lang=en&sp4ts.oid=8878964&ac.admit...

to log in a call. They will help

I am a HP Employee
HP Recommended

This happened to be also and I purchased almost $700 of ink.

Help!

HP Recommended

Hi Tracy

Sorry that you have the wrong HP972X supply

This particular printer model 377dw requires HP972A only

Please call into our Service Call center, they will be able to assist you to replace your supplies with the HP972A

Here is a link to the support web page
http://support.hp.com/us-en

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/home/?cc=us&lang=en&sp4ts.oid=8878964&ac.admit...

Hope we can resolve this for you

regards

queen_h

I am a HP Employee
HP Recommended

I hate to correct you, but retailers like Staples often grab their info from the manucturer, or the info is directly provided to the retailer when they list the manufacturer's items on their website.

And according to hp.ca, when you look up the 972X toner set, they list the compatible printers. And the HP PAgerwide 377DW is clearly listed as a compatible printer that accepts the high yield series.

HP 972X Black High Yield Original PageWide Ink Cartridge (F6T84AN)
  • Colour: Black
  • Cartridge yield (approx.): 10,000 pages.
  • HP Printer Compatibility: HP PageWide 377dw, HP PageWide Pro 452dn, 452dn, 452dw, 552dw, HP PageWide Pro 477dn, 477dn, 477dw, 577dw, 577z

But don't take my copy/paste as the honest truth - go look it up yourself (and as I graciously necro'd this thread 3 months later, HP has still not updated their info on the 972X to indidcate that the 377DW is NOT compatible.

HP needs to get their act together, and get some accurate information on their website for this printer/toner series.

*Pulls Staples out from under the bus*

HP Recommended

I have purchased both a MFP 577dw and a MFP 377dw under the impression the cartridges would be compatible - 972x. Now I find out that is not the case. I would not have purchased the MFP 377dw if I had known the cartridges were not compatible. I have a small office and the cratridges are expensive and I prefer to stock compatible supplies.

Is this something HP is going to correct or push out a software update on?

HP Recommended

Hello @thesneakypita,

Thank you for posting on the HP Forum, and I regret your HP PageWide MFP 377dw incompatible cartridge issue.  You also complain about the inaccuracy of HP documentation which is referenced by retailers.  It appears that HP has "gotten its act" together as the documentation that I reviewed appears to have been updated.

See in link provided by ShlomiL above:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-972x-high-yield-black-original-pagewide-cartridge

Compatible Printers

HP PageWide Pro 452dn (D3Q15A#B1H) ; HP PageWide Pro 452dw (D3Q16A#B1H) ; HP PageWide Pro 552dw (D3Q17A#B1H) ; HP PageWide Pro 477dn Multifunction (D3Q19A#B1H) ; HP PageWide Pro 477dw Multifunction (D3Q20A#B1H) ; HP PageWide Pro 577dw Multifunction (D3Q21A#B1H) ; HP PageWide Pro 577z Multifunction (K9Z76A#B1H)

Additionally, the HP PageWide MFP 377dw printer specs show:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/4AA6-5023EECI.pdf?ver=1.0

Supplies        

L0R95AE HP 913A Black Original PageWide Cartridge ~3,500 pages

F6T77AE HP 913A Cyan Original PageWide Cartridge ~3,000 pages

F6T78AE HP 913A Magenta Original PageWide Cartridge ~3,000 pages

F6T79AE HP 913A Yellow Original PageWide Cartridge ~3,000 pages

Please PM me if you still require assistance with this issue.

Kind regards,

Patty-B

I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.