Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hello @LGregg01,

Thank you for posting on the HP Forum.  I appreciate your purchase of both the MFP 577dw and a MFP 377dw  but regret that these printers do not use the same cartridges.   As you know by now the MFP 377dw does not take the high yield 972x, but instead the 972A.  See details above in my response to @thesneakypita.

I would like to discuss this issue with you further and see how HP can assist you.  If you would like to do so, please private message me with the following:

Name:

Address:

Phone:

Email:

Printer Product Number:

Printer Serial Number:

Order Number (if ordered from the HP Store):

Case Number (if available):

Kind regards,

Patty-B

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Patty

The US HP site might have updated the site, but the Canadian site is still listing the incorrect info, as can be seen at this link. Maybe you could reach out to them and give them a gentle poke. Thankfully people outside of the US also buy HP products - we just need accurate info as well!

http://store.hp.com/CanadaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=F6T84AN&opt=&sel=SUP&jumpid=reg_r1002_caen_b-0...

regards,

sneaky

HP Recommended

Hello Sneaky,

Huge thanks for your response which was one of the topics on the agenda of a meeting this morning with our SMB liaison.  He will work on getting this product discrepancy in the documentation fixed.  Thanks again for bringing this to HP's attention.

Kind regards,

Patty-B

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I am really really really upset right now.  I purchased a MFP377dw when it first came out.  I don't print often.  I also purchased 2 972x becuase the HP site said they were compatible.  Now I don't have the receipt - the purchase was about 2 years ago and I have 2 open boxes of 972 x that I paid about $128 each and can't use. 

Today, for the first time I needed to replace the ink so I removed the A cartridge and insered the X cartridge only to receive an error message.  Being the idiot that I am I opened the 2nd box - both HP certified and new cartridges  - again I get the incompatible error message.

Now today I see - after an hour of research - that the cartridge is not copatible and HP changed / "updated" their information regarding the high capacity X cartridge for the 377 DW...

How can I quickly get the 2 X cartridges repalced with the A cartridges - I'll suffer the difference in pages printed I just want to get my printer working again...

Please help...

HP Recommended

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

Hi Llattuca, Sorry you have this experience.

Please approach our contact web site and they will provide you the support .

I am a HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you...

Will I need to purchase a support plan?

Also my printer is out of warranty as it is two years old...Will your link still provide support and help me get the ink I need?

Thank you again!!

-Larry

HP Recommended

Hello Sneaky,

There is good news to report.  Last week, with the involvement of one of HP's printer managers, SMB liaison and support staff, your issue was escalated and a ticket was submitted to update the Canadian site.  On Friday, staff confirmed that changes had been made.  After rechecking the link you provided:

http://store.hp.com/CanadaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=F6T84AN&opt=&sel=SUP&jumpid=reg_r1002_caen_b-0...

I see that the PageWide 377dw has been removed from all pages as a compatible product.

Profuse thanks to you for bringing this to HP's attention and to the HP teams who worked on resolving this issue.  Thanks for making possible this process improvement.

Kind regards,

Patty

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Llattuca,

Please contact our HP contact center and explain to them on your situation

I am a HP Employee
HP Recommended

- What a shame for HP! -

Printer HP PageWide MFP 377dw and 477dw differs just by processor capacity; case, paper engine, printer heads and all the rest are exactly the same. Forbidding usage of high yeld cartridge like 973X or 972X on 377dw is just a commercial choise. HP is _not_ giving any tech reason to customers explaining this limitation.

I looked to both printer, did not need full 477dw speed, decided for 377dw. Now I'am forced to buy more expensive printing solution for my inks.

- What a shame for HP! -

Still in the hope of a software update that remove this limitation.

- What a shame for HP! -

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.