Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Don't bother trying to fix this... it is a bug - albeit an HP induced issue. None of the self help on the HP pages work.

I believe the issue is that the printer is programmed to stop printing black at a point when the ink is deemed to be low. This is supposed to ensure the prints are always of good quality. Only thing is, that HP failed to get the printer to come out of this mode even when new cartridges are correctly installed.

About 6 months ago, I had the same issue... so I eventually removed the battery of my printer and switched it off for about 3 weeks - no power or battery... when I plugged it in again... it started printing black again. I believe this reset the printer memory and got it enabled again. A day off without battery is not sufficient as the components remain powered for some time on capacitor power. Think I tried 3 or four days and this was not sufficient either... It' s a 'long' time.

Now tonight it moaned about low black ink again... and next print it stopped printing black again. I inserted a new black cartridge... guess what... still no black.

Will advise in 3 weeks time if the HP started printing again. Time for a new printer I guess... and you guessed it... it won't be HP.
HP Recommended

At least you tried something nobody else did.  Even if it worked only for a short time.  This site is not too helpful as anyone can try the suggestions on the troubleshooting page.  Then when you read messages we're asked " did you read the troubleshooting page? ( Duh. Thanks for offering something new.)  may try the alcohol cleaning solution someone suggested,  otherwise new printer.This is my first printer.   i'll probably try new company.  Anyone hear of a good one out there?   Also, why doesnt HP respond to this.  They will surely lose business. I never write letters but I saw I wasnt alone in this .  Good Luck everyone!

HP Recommended

Actually this fix does work. I tried it, but merely by accident, and I couldn't explain why it worked like the smart guy that posted before.

After not getting any of the fixes to work, and resisting the urge to throw this POS out the window, I just decided to buy another printer. So I shut this one off.

Well, I didn't get around to going to my local electronic's store for a least 2 weeks. Finally, when I was ready to go, I passed my computer and said, "Hmmm, let's give this printer one more try". I turned it one, and...VOILA! Black Ink! Yaaaay!

Thanks HP. Real nice.

HP Recommended

I have also tried everything suggested & was just 4 weeks off warranty. HP is no help. Want me to pay for a "refurbished" printer at a "discounted" (NOT) price. So off to get a new printer too. Anyone with a 5510, just give up there is no fix.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue with the black ink not printing on the HP Photosmart 5510d series  (it comes out light gray).  This is especially frustrating because I had just stocked up on the very expensive ink for the printer.  I have never had any issues with this printer, and especially liked the airprint capability to be able to print from the iphone.

A few weeks ago I downloaded new drivers from a link that HP support gave me after I had deleted the printer from my system and then did not have the current drivers available.  This past weekend I turned off my computer system when I went away for a day, and then came back to find that the black ink was not printing.  All the colored inks are currently working.  I have put in all new ink, although the other inks had not run out.  I have tried running the cleaning programs, tried unplugging the power cord, and re-starting.   Tried using a q-tip to clear the heads.  I have also tried to go into the color options on the printer settings and under gray scale set to use only black ink.

If anyone has a solution to this, I would appreciate hearing.  I would hate to have to replace this printer!

HP Recommended

How many times do I have to be redirected to the page that says do these steps? It appears that many have already tried and failed. I can't believe that changing a cartridge can bring the 5510 down. And HP has no solution for this product. I guess I will have to buy a new non-HP printer as I cannot afford to have a printer go down on me every two years or so.

When will someone at HP come up with a real solution?

Thanks for listening.

HP Recommended

Hi there does anyone have any fixes for this printer that wont print the black??

i did the printer doctor and did all the steps they advised and still nothing  Of course it is out of warranty!

HP Recommended

yep, exactly the same issue here in france.. a few months out of warranty, new cartridges, hardly reused, won't print black. second HP printer with huge issues and no support (previous said new & unused cartridges were out of date!! repurchased another set & same again!!!)

You got to worry when they are charging so little for printers and the ink is more expensive than Petrus.. will never buy their stuff again, and i hope they are investigated for immoral, at best, business practises. 

HP Recommended

Hello ,

My printer is not printing about 3 years old not used was mothers it was used for about 20 copies max ..

so replaced cartridges all of them got them at Argos HP 364 cartridges and now

when i try to print or copy it just makes crazy noise and jams on the printer its said cartridges recognized all good..but now it wont align cartridges or clean ?? Can you please advise

Bryan

HP Recommended

On the printer display try set up-> tools-> scroll down clean print head. I had to run it twice but it worked.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.