Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I am running Mac OSX 10.7.4, using the Photosmart 6510 AIO printer. I was having issues printing beforehand (black ink just wouldn't show up, sensor said there was plenty left) so I ordered new cartridges. I printed a quality report, and the colors came out great but the black came out patchy. Then I used the align page setting, and it printed out once again with patchy black ink and the screen on the printer read "alignment page failed". This is frustrating as the printer was only used for the end of last semester and it hasn't worked since I set it up for this semester. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Ryan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The troubleshooting steps in this page may help resolve the issue.  If black is print but blotchy I would expecially make sure I check the vents and run a cleaning cycle.  If the above does not resolve the issue see the post here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The troubleshooting steps in this page may help resolve the issue.  If black is print but blotchy I would expecially make sure I check the vents and run a cleaning cycle.  If the above does not resolve the issue see the post here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
Thanks, the cleaning cycle worked I don't know why I didn't think of that lol.
HP Recommended

I just put in a new black cartridge and I can't get the 6510 to print in black

HP Recommended

@NauticalNut wrote:

I just put in a new black cartridge and I can't get the 6510 to print in black

See the post above.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I had the same problem and it was suggested that I remove the black ink cartridge and stand it straight up, black exit port down for five minutes to allow the ink to settle at the bottom.

Then I thought why take the cartridge out when I could just as easy leave it in and then wait the five minutes.  Well it didn't work so I remove the black ink cartridge and stood it straight up, black exit port down for five minutes to allow the ink to settle at the bottom and it worked. Now it prints.

I guess when I bought it, they must have put the cartridge in the bag up side down which allowed the ink to settle to the top.

HP Recommended

If you have tried all of the troubleshooting that this forum lists for this issue, call this number:

(800) 474-6836

and follow the prompts to get to tech support.  From there, they will determine what to do next.

Don't give up!

For me, I had followed all of the troubleshooting steps on this forum over & over, and was close to throwing my printer away & never buying HP products again.  But I am glad I didn't!  I called tech support, and now they are sending me a new black ink cartridge for free (I purchased it less than 21 days ago).  If this doesn't solve the issue, then I will call tech support back and see what happens next.  But they are very polite & professional.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue with my HP Photosmart 6510. I recently changed the all four ink cartridges and now the printer will not print black ink (it prints all other colors) and will not align when I use the automated alignment feature. I have done every item on the troubleshooting page (multiple times) and un-installed and reinstalled my printer software. I also spent time on the phone with HP tech support and ran through more troubleshooting with them. After a half an hour on the phone tech support told me that there was nothing else they could do and that because my printer was out of warranty I have to purchase a new printer! This does not seem right considering that my printer is not that old (less than 2 years)! Please help!

HP Recommended

Hi @helmr 

Just wondering what the outcome was for this, did you end up getting a new printer?

Thanks

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I have the same issue and haven't figured out how to solve it either. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.