Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 6520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

All my ink cartridges were going bad, so I threw them out. I installed the black cartridge and left the other slots empty because I don't print in color.

The printer's display says "One or more cartridges appear to be missing". It won't let me print in black.

I realized that this happens to me every time I change cartridges and I always forget about the nuance. I'm tired of wasting money on colored cartridges I don't use. What do I do? Is there a work around? New firmware that avoids the issue?

Hilariously, I can buy a brand new printer from Canon for less than it will cost to buy the colored ink cartridges, so unless there is a fix, that's what I'm going to do so I don't run into this again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, printers are designed to require all of the ink cartridges to be installed in order to function/print at all. There is no work-around for it. It is typical that a new printer is cheaper than new inks, and some users go that route, but be aware too that the new printers will usually have starter inks that contain less ink than the replacement inks that you will need to buy down the road. Sometimes you can go online and find cheaper inks from other suppliers.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, printers are designed to require all of the ink cartridges to be installed in order to function/print at all. There is no work-around for it. It is typical that a new printer is cheaper than new inks, and some users go that route, but be aware too that the new printers will usually have starter inks that contain less ink than the replacement inks that you will need to buy down the road. Sometimes you can go online and find cheaper inks from other suppliers.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response!

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

my photosmart 6520 will not print black, all new ink cartridges. Quality page show blank where the black should be.

HP Recommended

The videos I posted in my question here actually wound up working for me:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/HP-Photosmart-6520-Prints-blank-pages-even-with-new-in...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.