Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart C4680
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the C4680 printer attached to a Windows Vista machine that is shared to my network.  I also have a Windows 7 laptop that can print duplex(manually) to this printer and it always worked well. I purchased a HP laptop running Windows 10, I'm no longer able to print on both sides of the paper. When I select the Print on Both Sides option, the dropdown only has "Off" as a selection and no Manual.

Windows 10 downloaded drivers do not give the option to print on both sides manually.  Might there be a Win10 driver option I missed that allows for manually printing both sides?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I had an aha moment.  When I first installed it, on the Find a printer by other options, I selected the second choice of Select by a shared printer name.  After it installed when I Iooked at printer properties, the port was USB001 virtual printer port for ...  What really needs to be done is to select the bottom choice Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings.  Then all I did was copy the setting from my Windows 7 machine and set it up as a local port starting with the computer name starting with \\HOME-PC\HP Photosmart C4600 series.  After I did that, it used the driver that I had downloaded previously and now it works perfectly.  It shows two sided manual printing which is what I was trying to get.

So the secret is to use the manual setup, in my case.  Again this is to connect to a printer that is physically connected to an old desktop on a local network.  Let me know if you have any questions but at least I solved my own problem and it may work for others who were experiencing similar problems.  Thanks. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@ddgar

Welcome to HP support community.

Enable duplex printing in Windows

• For the printer instance in question, bring up the Printer properties dialogue.
  • Select the Device settings tab.
  • Ensure that the duplex unit is set to Installed rather than Not installed.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry, but this didn't work.  I would love to send you an email with screen captures between the two laptops that maybe you could look at but there are definite differences between the Win 7 and Win 10 machines.

HP Recommended

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s")

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer. 

Once done, please download and install the software from here: 

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had an aha moment.  When I first installed it, on the Find a printer by other options, I selected the second choice of Select by a shared printer name.  After it installed when I Iooked at printer properties, the port was USB001 virtual printer port for ...  What really needs to be done is to select the bottom choice Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings.  Then all I did was copy the setting from my Windows 7 machine and set it up as a local port starting with the computer name starting with \\HOME-PC\HP Photosmart C4600 series.  After I did that, it used the driver that I had downloaded previously and now it works perfectly.  It shows two sided manual printing which is what I was trying to get.

So the secret is to use the manual setup, in my case.  Again this is to connect to a printer that is physically connected to an old desktop on a local network.  Let me know if you have any questions but at least I solved my own problem and it may work for others who were experiencing similar problems.  Thanks. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for this 🙂 Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

Have a nice day!:)

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.