Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart C5180 All in One
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I ran a test page directly on the scan plate. The color/black print worked beautifully so thankfully the hardware is working. The problem is the mac lap book talking to the printer. Help!!! Now what do I do????

Thank you .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @happycamper1958

Do you have an anti-virus software installed on the Mac? 

Try updating your Mac using these steps - How to update the software on your Mac

Try updating the printer's firmware. Refer to this document for step by step instructions. 

Uninstall the printer driver - 

1.) Disconnect the USB cable from the printer, if necessary. 

2.) Click Finder in the Dock. 

3.) In the menu bar, click Go, click Applications, and then open the HP or Hewlett Packard folder. 

• If HP Uninstaller is in the folder, double click it to uninstall the software, and then skip to the step to prepare the printer for the driver installation. 

• If HP Uninstaller is not in the folder, continue to the next step. 

4.) Click and drag the HP or Hewlett Packard folder to the Trash icon in the Dock. 

5.) In the menu bar, click Go, click Go to Folder, type /Library/Printers, and then click Go. 

6.) Click and drag the HP or Hewlett Packard folder to the Trash icon in the Dock. 

7.) Right-click or Ctrl + click the Trash icon, and then select Empty Trash. 

8.) Prepare the printer for the driver installation. Make sure it is turned on, cartridges are installed, and plain paper is loaded in the main tray. 

Download and install the printer driver from this link

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @happycamper1958

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the connectivity issue. 

To better assist you - Are you getting any error message? 

Also, check if the printer gets detected under the USB devices on your Mac - On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > About This Mac. In the window that appears, click Overview, then click the System Report button. In the window that appears, see if the USB device is listed below Hardware in the list on the left. 

Let me know.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes it is connected and it shows up. I’ve removed it in settings, unplugged, replugged...it works fine to make color and black copies UNLESS it’s connected to the laptop. 
Does this have anything to do with the Catalina IOS?

HP Recommended

Hi @happycamper1958

Do you have an anti-virus software installed on the Mac? 

Try updating your Mac using these steps - How to update the software on your Mac

Try updating the printer's firmware. Refer to this document for step by step instructions. 

Uninstall the printer driver - 

1.) Disconnect the USB cable from the printer, if necessary. 

2.) Click Finder in the Dock. 

3.) In the menu bar, click Go, click Applications, and then open the HP or Hewlett Packard folder. 

• If HP Uninstaller is in the folder, double click it to uninstall the software, and then skip to the step to prepare the printer for the driver installation. 

• If HP Uninstaller is not in the folder, continue to the next step. 

4.) Click and drag the HP or Hewlett Packard folder to the Trash icon in the Dock. 

5.) In the menu bar, click Go, click Go to Folder, type /Library/Printers, and then click Go. 

6.) Click and drag the HP or Hewlett Packard folder to the Trash icon in the Dock. 

7.) Right-click or Ctrl + click the Trash icon, and then select Empty Trash. 

8.) Prepare the printer for the driver installation. Make sure it is turned on, cartridges are installed, and plain paper is loaded in the main tray. 

Download and install the printer driver from this link

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.