Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Photosmart Premium C410a
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi 😊

I'am in need of some help with my HP Photosmart Premium C410a All-In-One Printer it is showing up on the screen to install the Setup Ink Cartridges but I don't have the Setup cartridges as I was given the printer from a friend who has had it packed up for a few years and they would not have kept them.

If anyone can help me in getting this fixed so I can use the printer I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks 😀

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@StitchWin

Thank you for joining the HP Community

Let's try to perform an OOBE reset on the printer.

I have sent you a private message, to reset the printer that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@StitchWin

Thank you for joining the HP Community

Let's try to perform an OOBE reset on the printer.

I have sent you a private message, to reset the printer that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

i have the exact same problem. I have a C410a Photo Smart printer that is asking for the setup cartridges and I do not have them. I probably did when I first purchased it (I am the original owner) but that was many years ago. HELP!!

HP Recommended

@SAB58 I'm sorry to hear that you are also having the same problem. I will send you a private message and will try to help if I can 🙂

HP Recommended

Same issue here. Getting message that the printer wants SETUP ink cartridges.

I was trying to get rid of an "Ink System Failure" message with code 0xc19a0042. Did extensive cleaning of the printer, and also tried the working printhead from an HP Photosmart 7525, which uses the same printhead. Have all new HP ink cartridges. Kept getting "Incompatible Ink Cartridge(s") message. Finally did a "semi-full" reset, and now it wants the Setup cartridges.

Thanks for any help.

- Thatscreenname

HP Recommended

Hey @Thatscreenname 😀 I will send you a private message and will try to help if I can

HP Recommended

Why PRIVATE MESSAGES?
What is such a secret about getting rid of a printer error message?

HP Recommended

For some reason HP does not allow instructions for accessing the "service" menu on printers to be posted. These can sometimes be found elsewhere, and if not for the printer you are looking for, for one which uses the same protocols. For example, an all-in-one with a physical buttons will have different instructions from one with only a touch screen.

This may be because it is possible to make a printer inoperative by doing the wrong things with the service menu.

HP Recommended

None of the various reset instructions seem to work. I keep coming back to "Failed Ink System", now typically preceded by something like: "Printhead missing: Open the lever and re-seat the printhead."

At this point I think it's either a failed ribbon cable, or the two capacitors on the small circuit board that the printhead contacts plug into. I've ordered replacement capacitors, and will see if the replacements fix the problem. The capacitors on the board are aluminum, marked 50V, 100uF, 105°C. The replacements I found are described as:

"Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Radial Leaded 50V 100uF 105C". There are other characteristics, such as "20% tolerance" and 3.5mm lead spacing (which matches the existing ones). 

HP Recommended

I replaced the two capacitors, but that didn't fix the problem (at least initially). I did get the printer to print in black, but not color, using the printhead from our Photosmart 7525. However, after letting it sit for a few weeks, I again tried the printhead from the 7525. The C410a went through an initial setup (which wastes an enormous amount of ink - 1/3 to 1/2 of a standard ink cartridge), but then worked perfectly.

Wish that had happened sooner. I think I've used well more than a full set of cartridges getting the C410a working again. And it apparently needs a new printhead, as it would not work with its own printhead. I may try cleaning its printhead one more time. (New OEM printheads are over $100, which makes them uneconomic.) Expensive to try to troubleshoot HP inkjet printers.

Also, the OOBE reset/toggle got me past the printer wanting setup cartridges.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.