Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Printer Cartridges not being recognised

OfficeJet Pro 8615
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP OfficeJet Pro 8615 printer not recognising any ink cartridges.
I have used my printer for more than 4 years without a problem, always with HP-branded ink cartridges.
This week I used a replacement "compatible" cartridge for the first time. Two days later my printer doesn't think any cartridges are installed (including the three remaining HP-branded ones).
I have tried a "semi-reset" which takes me through the initialisation procedure every time the printer is powered up (after various lengths of power-down time), but it always stalls when I have to "insert the cartridges that came with the printer", obviously not happy with the cartridges I am putting in (even my old empty HP-branded colour cartridge that I retrieved from the bin).
I am now aware that these printers (and cartridges?) keep track of how often they are used in combination and HP doesn't like the same cartridges being used.
Basically I want to know whether a completely new set of HP-branded cartridges will solve my problem, or whether there is something even extra-special about the catridges that actually come with a printer? I don't want to invest in a new set of HP-branded cartridges if even that is not going to work, but I can't believe a perfectly good printer should become completely unusable because of a single cartridge mistake.

Other comments have suggested selecting the "Trade" option at a "TradeatOOBE" screen, but I can no longer press the "back/return arrow" button area of the LCD screen which previously allowed me into the "Setup" menu to do a "semi-full reset".

Can someone tell me how I can get away from being locked in to the Setup procedures. From what I have read, even a completely new set of HP-branded cartridges might not help me if I cannot get to the "TradeatOOBE" screen.

Any advice / confirmation welcome. Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
7,261 7,253 480 582
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Printer Cartridges not being recognised

Hi @ColinASAD

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you. You may refill your cartridges or use remanufactured cartridges, but you may run into problems. HP will not guarantee the functionality of those ink cartridges.

Since the support menu is not accessible on the printer, please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it could be a possible hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation