Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-In-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an OfficeJet Pro 6978 AIO, firmware MCP2CN1938AR

Upon installing new HP print cartridges for Magenta and Cyan (HP 902), the printer status report shows the ink cartridges installed 3 days earlier than they actually were.

The cartridges were installed today, Jan 25, but the printer status page shows them installed on Jan 22.    Navigating to the date settings for the printer shows the current date - Jan 25.

Obviously, not a critical bug report, but a bug none-the-less.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@jlacour

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Make sure the Printer's firmware is up to date: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Using the interface on the printer, I attempted to update the firmware, but the printer reports "The most current updates have already been installed...."     Is there newer firmware that can't be updated online?

HP Recommended

I also downloaded the last firmware and attempted to install it manually, but it is not applicable.  So I believe the latest is already installed.   Therefore, I believe the bug is in the latest firmware.

HP Recommended

@jlacour

Let us try these steps:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Reinstall the ink cartridges. Try printing the printer status report to check if the issue persists.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.