Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, the only changes made recently to my printer was allowing it to perform all the updates available, which I have not allowed it to do since late 2019, when I bought it. Upon updating, I haven't been able to print text well. I have tried to reinstall windows drivers from HP Smart, reset factory settings on the printer, align nozzles, clean nozzles, clean smears, run the hp troubleshooting client, none of which was able to find any problems. I am uploading the alignment page (artifacts visible at bottom) and a test page (test shown below). 

[content removed]

This text came from a lorem-ipsum generator and was printed with Word. I have also tried Notepad.exe but had similar issues. The only solution I have found (temporarily) is to use the Windows "Print to PDF" option and then upload the PDF to an online converter to get a JPG, and finally print the JPG using Windows Photos. This prints text and images without a problem. This seems to imply that the latest software update is the culprit. 

IMG_0408.JPEG

IMG_0409.JPEG

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Update with more troubleshooting:

When I print on my iPad using AirPrint, I have the same issues; however, if I hit print using HP Smart, it works but prints slowly. I can hear it pausing after every line, and (I assume) getting data from the iPad. This is more convenient than trying to use 3rd party conversion services, but still unacceptable. I shouldn’t have to shuffle documents around to get them printed. 

HP Recommended

@e2zy8BORIESa, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Add a TCP/IP port-

1. Print a Network Configuration Report from the Printer Settings or Wireless menu.
  2. Right-click your printer, select Printer Properties, click the Ports tab, and then click Add Port.
  3. Select Standard TCP/IP Port, and then click New Port.
  4. Follow the instructions to add a new port using the information listed on the Network Configuration Report.
  5. Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@TEJ1602

1. The network report is coming out poorly as well.
  2. I was able to guess the port and windows was able to recognize the port as well.
  3. Once I did this, printing did not improve. In fact, after submitting the print job, it took about 2 minutes for the printer to recognize that there was a job waiting, though the printing happened quickly. The output had the same problems, whether being printed to from Word or Notepad. However, color printing no longer worked, so I am restoring my original settings. (not yet fixed).
HP Recommended

@e2zy8BORIESa

This looks like a hardware issue.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@TEJ1602

Thank you for the prompt response. I can confirm that this is a software issue because the CUPS driver in Ubuntu works perfectly. This is entirely with HP's firmware/drivers.

HP Recommended

I have not heard back from you. I also filed a warranty dispute which has gone unanswered. This has been a disappointing experience. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.