Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Hp officejet 7612
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello hp support group,

I have Hp officejet 7612 (2) pair.First printer hasn't Cyan and Magenta. I hasn't  already a new one.

I  bring  all of cartridge from second printer and then I replace First printer.After replace all colour cartridge in First

printer and then printer show ''Hp protected Cartridge Installed''.Now I can't  print. How can I solved  this error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@PP14

It sounds like the HP Protected Cartridge setting was enabled on the first printer.

You can disable the setting; this does not "switch off" the protection already assigned to the cartridges that were "protected".

Once a cartridge is "protected", that cartridge can only be used in the printer in which the setting was enabled.

Simply said:  There is no fix to "unprotect" a previously protected cartridge

If the printer is on the network, use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to enable / disable HP Cartridge Protection.

Open your favorite browser > type / enter the IP address of the printer into the URL address bar

Tab Settings > category Preferences > HP Cartridge Protection

When you see a Post that helps, inspires, provides fresh insight,

or teaches you something new, click the Thumbs Up on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@PP14

It sounds like the HP Protected Cartridge setting was enabled on the first printer.

You can disable the setting; this does not "switch off" the protection already assigned to the cartridges that were "protected".

Once a cartridge is "protected", that cartridge can only be used in the printer in which the setting was enabled.

Simply said:  There is no fix to "unprotect" a previously protected cartridge

If the printer is on the network, use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to enable / disable HP Cartridge Protection.

Open your favorite browser > type / enter the IP address of the printer into the URL address bar

Tab Settings > category Preferences > HP Cartridge Protection

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello,Dear Dragon-Fur

Thank for your reply.I already test this method but I can't.If other method you have,please help me.Thanks

HP Recommended

@PP14

You are welcome.

I am sorry it is not possible to "unlock" a protected cartridge.

Commentary

Cartridge protection is primarily intended to be used in a Work Environment to keep cartridges from disappearing from the work printer.  Once the "sticky fingers" person finds out he cannot use the cartridges in his home printer, he will likely leave the work printer alone.

The protection is also useful in a Library, a Dorm room at college, anywhere the printer is likely to attract people trying to obtain free cartridges.

At home, unless "Sticky Fingers" is coming into your house and stealing your stuff, the cartridge protection is not needed.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.