Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Smart
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The App doesn't start on the computer. I can click it, it will then shortly show up and then disappear.

A few days ago it was still working and I wonder whether this happened after the newest Windows 10 update was installed. How can I get it to work again? (reinstallation didn't help)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Karin_M64

It is certainly possible that Windows Update messed with your other software, particularly if your system just updated itself to Windows version 1809. 

Have you uninstalled / installed the Full Feature Software for the printer?

Your primary printer software for your printer and Windows 10 is located in your printer's Software and Drivers Website Support pages.  Indeed, the HP Smart application is likely dependent on the Full Feature Software to provide the infrastructure necessary to send print jobs to the printer.

Printer Software – Uninstall Existing Software (Optional)

If the software is already installed and you want (need) to uninstall it:

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features >

Scroll down, click, and Uninstall the software

After the software is removed, Restart the computer and log in

Find, download, and install the Full Feature Software.

HP Drivers & Downloads

• After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in.
  • Look for the Printer Assistant shortcut icon on your Desktop named for your printer.
  • The printer software works with your other programs on the computer to provide print service.

For Example, printer software works with Office programs, with your PDF Reader software, with your browser, and with your photo printing / editing software.

Reminder

If there is both printer software and a printer Firmware update, install the Full Feature Software, Restart the computer and log in, then consider updating the printer firmware.  If there are instructions on the Firmware Details page, please read and follow these instructions to properly install lthe Firmware.

**************************************************

Did you remove (uninstall) the HP Smart application before reinstalling it?  The application can be uninstalled like any other program.  

Windows 10 provides methods (in addition to Control Panel > icon > Programs and Features) to uninstall software.

For example,

Start Screen / Menu > Settings > System > Apps and Features >

Scroll down, find, Left-Click /Select the app to be removed > Uninstall

OR

Start Screen > All Apps > Scroll down, find / Open HP products > Right-Click on the application > Uninstall

After the software / application is removed, Restart the computer and log in

Did you check the applications settings?  Depending on what you are trying to do with the application on your Windows machine, you might want to switch on the "camera" and / or the "microphone" in ther App settings.

The HP Smart application is intended for use (primarily) on non-Windows devices (iOS and Android).

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Android, Apple iOS)

After you remove the application from your Windows computer, Restart the computer and log in.

Open the Windows Store to find and download the HP Smart Application.

Installation link, Information on the application, FAQ:

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

After the application is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Karin_M64

It is certainly possible that Windows Update messed with your other software, particularly if your system just updated itself to Windows version 1809. 

Have you uninstalled / installed the Full Feature Software for the printer?

Your primary printer software for your printer and Windows 10 is located in your printer's Software and Drivers Website Support pages.  Indeed, the HP Smart application is likely dependent on the Full Feature Software to provide the infrastructure necessary to send print jobs to the printer.

Printer Software – Uninstall Existing Software (Optional)

If the software is already installed and you want (need) to uninstall it:

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features >

Scroll down, click, and Uninstall the software

After the software is removed, Restart the computer and log in

Find, download, and install the Full Feature Software.

HP Drivers & Downloads

• After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in.
  • Look for the Printer Assistant shortcut icon on your Desktop named for your printer.
  • The printer software works with your other programs on the computer to provide print service.

For Example, printer software works with Office programs, with your PDF Reader software, with your browser, and with your photo printing / editing software.

Reminder

If there is both printer software and a printer Firmware update, install the Full Feature Software, Restart the computer and log in, then consider updating the printer firmware.  If there are instructions on the Firmware Details page, please read and follow these instructions to properly install lthe Firmware.

**************************************************

Did you remove (uninstall) the HP Smart application before reinstalling it?  The application can be uninstalled like any other program.  

Windows 10 provides methods (in addition to Control Panel > icon > Programs and Features) to uninstall software.

For example,

Start Screen / Menu > Settings > System > Apps and Features >

Scroll down, find, Left-Click /Select the app to be removed > Uninstall

OR

Start Screen > All Apps > Scroll down, find / Open HP products > Right-Click on the application > Uninstall

After the software / application is removed, Restart the computer and log in

Did you check the applications settings?  Depending on what you are trying to do with the application on your Windows machine, you might want to switch on the "camera" and / or the "microphone" in ther App settings.

The HP Smart application is intended for use (primarily) on non-Windows devices (iOS and Android).

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Android, Apple iOS)

After you remove the application from your Windows computer, Restart the computer and log in.

Open the Windows Store to find and download the HP Smart Application.

Installation link, Information on the application, FAQ:

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

After the application is installed, Restart the computer and log in

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot. This solved it. I had already deinstalled and reinstalled the App, but did not restart my computer. After I did that it worked again. 

Thanks again!

Karin

HP Recommended

@Karin_M64

You are welcome.  I am glad the issue is resolved.

Windows has always enjoyed a good "Restart".  Smiling.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I had the same problem but this solution did not work. I tried re-installing the app and then rebooting my HP Desktop 3 times, but the app begins to launch and then disappears. I purchased this HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 so I could use this app, I need to get it to work. Can help?

HP Recommended

@UltimateGWarrio

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to do a root uninstall while the HP Smart App is still installed:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, uninstall and reinstall the App.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance, Betty but it did not work. I went through each step with re-boots but the same thing happens, the app tries to launch then crashes. Now matters are worse as I'm getting error messages about the old printers I removed. I need tech support. 

HP Recommended

@UltimateGWarrio

This requires remote assistance and I would recommend you reach out to the HP Support in your region for further help.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I’m too not able to download the HP Smart App on my Windows 10 laptop. Said system requirement exclamation. I updated my windows 10 still can’t download it. My desktop & iPhone was able to download without any problems. Please let me know how to fix it thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.