Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Smart
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The HP Smart app no longer displays the current ink levels for my HP 6968 printer.  Prior to recently upgrading Windows 10 to the now available Feature Update 1903 in early June, the ink levels were being displayed by the HP Smart app.  Also, after the 1903 update, the HP Smart app now takes almost a minute and a half to come up and display the printer icon but without current ink levels.

All of the HP software is current according to the HP Support web site.  I have removed and reinstalled the HP software and drivers a few times to try to determine if that fixes the problem.  This did not change anything.

I can still print and scan with the HP 6968 device without any issues.  So this problem appears to be specifically related to the HP Smart app itself and the Windows 10 1903 Feature Update.  The only way that I can view the current ink levels is directly on the printer.

Is anyone from HP looking into this?  I don't appear to be the only person describing a similar problem with the HP Smart app.  There appears to be some sort of conflict between the HP Smart app and the currently available Windows 10 software.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I had completely uninstalled all of the HP supporting printer device software and reinstalled it at least twice over the past few weeks trying to resolve this problem.  I did that again today but this time I manually uninstalled the HP Smart app prior to doing the full reinstall.  Now after running the "OJ6960_Full_WebPack_40.11.1150.exe" software package the HP Smart app appears to be fully functional again.  It comes up as it used too without the long startup delay and the current ink levels are viewable.  

The only difference this time is that I manually deleted the HP Smart app before reinstall of the HP software.  The reinstall loaded the HP Smart and that appears to have cleared whatever conflict had been occurring.         

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@EBoroush

Welcome to HP support community.

Update the printer firmware

Refer this HP document for the steps to update the printer firmware:- Click here

Uninstall the app from your Windows 10 device 

1. In Windows, search for and open Apps & features.
  2. Click HP Smart in the list of apps, and then click Uninstall.

Reinstall the HP smart app again

Refer this document for the steps to install and use HP smart app for Windows:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had completely uninstalled all of the HP supporting printer device software and reinstalled it at least twice over the past few weeks trying to resolve this problem.  I did that again today but this time I manually uninstalled the HP Smart app prior to doing the full reinstall.  Now after running the "OJ6960_Full_WebPack_40.11.1150.exe" software package the HP Smart app appears to be fully functional again.  It comes up as it used too without the long startup delay and the current ink levels are viewable.  

The only difference this time is that I manually deleted the HP Smart app before reinstall of the HP software.  The reinstall loaded the HP Smart and that appears to have cleared whatever conflict had been occurring.         

HP Recommended

@EBoroush

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in the future if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It certainly appears that manually removing and then reinstalling the HP Smart app fixed this problem.  My only question is why wasn't the HP Smart app removed when I used the standard Windows procedure to uninstall the basic device software.  Why was the HP Smart app not removed at that time?  The base level software package is what installs the HP Smart app.  I would have had this problem fixed a few weeks ago when I first tried to uninstall and reinstall the base level software if I had noticed that the HP Smart app was not being removed by the uninstall process.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.