Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Installed a HP ENVY 4520 for my Dads new HP 260-a129.    He is 87 so it all has to be simple.  

Installation of printer excellent.   Great little PC.    Perfect for my father. 

Whats annoying me is that when I went to show him how he can simply print something from HP SMART ... it is only showing (from) Print Documents,  PDF documents.   All files shows  *.pdf

I can print word documents (doc or docx) from windows explorer or Word but from HP SMART it seems to be thinking that the only documents to print are PDF.  

Is this a known bug?   From searching it seems the previous problem was not finding pdf documents from Print Documents.   You fixed that but broke all the others.  Print documents should include .doc .txt .ppt xls etc etc

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

Hi @WarningU2,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query. I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with your HP ENVY 4520 All-in-One Printer wherein it shows only *.pdf option under all files.

I suggest that you update the HP Smart App from Google Play Store and check.

You may also check the link: http://hp.care/2sl1E5V

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended
Does the suggestion apply if running windows 10
HP Recommended

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c04782323

To confirm I have downloaded the full software suite and the *pdf files is still the only option

HP Recommended

Hi @WarningU2,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue has not resolved after following the steps mentioned in the previous interaction.

This issue may require a one to one interaction over the phone.

Hence, please contact HP Phone Support for further assistance at the link: www.hp.com/contacthp

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

BTW  ... I realize this is not a bad install on just this one PC.  On another PC recently installed with a new HP Printer HPSMART > Print Document has the same issue.    Should be pretty easy for you to check out internally, without me getting on a call to support.   Here is a picture from my PC that shows all files limits the displayed content to *pdf.   If you type in *.* and try to print, it says wrong format, incomaptible.   I won't be calling in.  Please pass this to your QA team to validate.   Thanks 

pdfonly.png

HP Recommended

Hi @WarningU2,

Thank you for your reply, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended
I have provided the same info via private message to another rep. Issue is still outstanding and could be easily verified by your qa
HP Recommended

Is there any solution to this issue yet?  I just set up a new HP printer and wanted to print a simple test.txt file from my Windows10 PC and all HP Smart can see is PDF files.

HP Recommended

No solution to my knowledge.   Sorry, I abandoned pursuing it to tell you the truth.   HP seemed oblivious to recreating the issue in-house.   They wanted all sorts of information that did not pertain to the problem.   

It's obvious what happened here (to me at least)... previous problem was that it wasn't seeing pdf files.  Fixed that by only seeing PDF files ... changed ALL files so it pulls up *.pdf.  

Thanks though for validating it is an issue not just for me.

You can print from Windows Explorer.  Right click the file > print.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.