12-24-2019 01:12 PM
My product is HP Deskjet 2540. I recently tried to uninstall and reinstall the printer, because the HP Print and Scan Doctor was not working. It is now working ; but I have lost the HP Deskjet ikon from my desktop. That option was useful, because it shows information about the printer ( e.g. ink levels, print queue, etc ). Can anyone help me with that, please ?
12-26-2019 03:13 PM
Welcome to HP support community.
The Icon on the desktop of your computer is called printer assistant.
Sometimes if the printer assistant is updated, you would have to reconfigure it.
The usual option that comes is "setup the device" if the software was updated.
If you see the option that says set up the device, click on it and complete the setup.
This should resolve the issue you are facing and will be able to use the printer assistant.
If you are still unable to access the printer assistant, please follow the procedure mentioned below to remove the printer software and settings and install it back.
- Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)
- Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)
- Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top.
- Click on print server properties.
- You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there, if any.
- Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.
- Restart the PC.
- Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box,
- Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.
- It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files, ignore them).
- If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.
- Restart the PC again.
- Click here to download the latest full feature driver and install it on the computer.
- Power On/Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer.
Let me know if this helped.
To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.
I am an HP Employee