Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4500
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

My printer was working yesterday and now when I go to print it is telling me printer is not connected.  I've shut down my computer, unplugged printer, and restarted everything and still nothing.  I'm using a Mac Book Pro with OS Yosemite.  The wifi light on the printer is solid.  Please help!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @ddhuff,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're experiencing an 'offline' issue when trying to print from your Mac OS X 10.10 computer to your wireless HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue. Now, the first thing we're going to do is confirm if your Mac and printer are still 'seeing' each other over the wireless connection. Once we know if they are actually communicating I will be able to guide you to a solution. Can I please have you follow the steps below.

Step 1: Check Connectivity:

1. On the front panel of your HP Envy select the down arrow until you see Wireless
  2. Hit OK on Wireless
  3. Down arrow until your see View Wireless Details
  4. Select OK on View Wireless Details
  5. Take note of the IP Address and Network Name SSID that display
  6. On your Mac open up the internet browser
  7. In the address bar type in the IP Address from the printer. Do not include www.
  8. Search to that website.
  • If a website for your printer opens: This proves that your Mac and HP Envy are still 'talking' to each other wirelessly. Therefore, there is more than likely a software or driver glitch occuring that is causing the printer to not be seen by the Mac. Can I please have you continue with Step 3 below to resolve this issue.

• If a website for your printer fails to open: This proves that your printer and computer are not 'talking' to each other wirelessly. Please check on your Mac and make sure that your Mac is connected to the same Network Name SSID that the printer is connected to. If the Network Name matches please proceed with Step 2 below.

Step 2: Restore and Reconfigure Wireless:

1. On the front panel of your printer hit the down arrow until you see Wireless
  2. Select OK on Wireless
  3. Down arrow until you see Restore Defaults
  4. Hit OK on Restore Defaults
  5. Choose Yes to Restore Defaults
  6. Next, under the Wireless menu select Wireless Setup Wizard
  7. Hit OK on Wireless Setup Wizard
  8. Select your Network Name SSID
  9. Enter your wireless password (key). This is case sensitive.

Once the wireless has been successfully reconfigured, please proceed with the steps below.

Step 3: Reset the Print System:

Please click here for instructions on how to perform the Reset. When the website opens follow the steps under 'Resetting the printing system in OS X Lion' as the steps are the same for your Mac OS X 10.10 Operating System. This Reset will remove every printer from your Mac. However, it does not uninstall the printers. Therefore, should you use other printers on this Mac, once the Reset is complete simply ensure that the printers are connected via a USB Cable or Network connected and (+) Add them back in. Do not add your HP Envy back in at this time.

Once the reset is complete, please proceed to the next step.

Step 4: Uninstall Drivers and Software:

Next, please click here for steps on how to properly uninstall your printer. Once the site opens select the dropdown for 'Mac OS X v10.6, OS X v10.7, OS X v10.8, and OS X v10.9'  as they are the same for Mac OS X 10.10 and follow the steps to complete the uninstall process.

Once the uninstall is complete, please continue on.

Step 5: Verify and Repair your Disk Permissions on the Mac:

1. Open Macintosh HD and go to Applications
  2. Go to the Utilities Folder
  3. Open the Disk Utility
  4. Select the Hard Drive volume you are using (usually on the left)
  5. Select Verify Disk Permissions
  6. Once that process is done, select Repair Disk Permissions

Step 6: Check for Apple Updates:

1. Go to Apple
  2. Select System Preferences
  3. Select Software Update
  4. Click Update Now
  5. Install your available updates
  6. Restart your computer

Step 7: Install Device:

1. Please click here to download the drivers for your printer
  2. Once the website opens select the Download button on the top left
  3. Once the download is complete please follow the onscreen instructions to install your printer

Once your printer is successfully reinstalled please test printing again.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Every time I restart the printer, it stays connected wirelessly to my laptop for about 10 minutes, until the printer goes Idle or the screen goes black, then the connection is lost and I can no longer print wirelessly, I can no longer access the printers URL, etc. Just gives me a "printer not connected" message when I try to print.

HP Recommended

I have a printer that is only a few months old, I set it up and it was working perfectly with my Mac book. I moved to another address after 3 weeks and set it up to connect to a different wireless connection, I have followed all the right steps, it prints a test sheet telling me I have successfuly connected. I try to print from my Mac. I get the print box as seen.Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 18.24.50.png

Then nothing, I check the print queue and get this box and that is how it stays:Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 16.23.22.png

Advice would be gratefully recieved.

HP Recommended

@ddhuff wrote:

My printer was working yesterday and now when I go to print it is telling me printer is not connected.  I've shut down my computer, unplugged printer, and restarted everything and still nothing.  I'm using a Mac Book Pro with OS Yosemite.  The wifi light on the printer is solid.  Please help!

HP Recommended

Hi @erdic,

A warm welcome to the HP community. Good day. 🙂 I read the post regarding the printer not being connected to the wireless network and not printing. I will be glad to assist you here. 🙂

You've done some smart diagnosis and given a splendid description of the issue. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you accurately I would require more information regarding this.

You've copied and pasted @ddhuff's issue. 

• Are you having the same issue?
  • Is the computer a Mac and the operating system Yosemite? Or is it a Windows PC?
  • Did this happen after a power outage or surge?
  • Did you try to perform a  hard reset on the printer?
  • Does the printer make copies directly

For now assuming that the Operating system is a Mac and the printer is an HP Envy 5640 let's try a few steps:

Please make 2 copies directly from the printer and check if it copies correctly. if it does then try these steps:

Please reset the Mac printing system from this link:  http://hp.care/2gOrf2g and then add the printer to the network.

Then add the printer by performing these steps:

Click the Apple menu icon, and then click System Preferences.

2.) Click Printers and Scanners, Print and Scan, or Print and Fax.

3.) In the Printers list, click your HP printer, and then click the Minus button to delete it.

4.) Click the Add button.

5.) Find, and then select the name of your printer from the Printer list, and then click Add to add your printer. Do not select an HP Fax driver.

6.) Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select the name of your printer.

7.) Avoid the AirPrint driver. Once the correct HP driver is chosen, select Add to add the printer to the list.

8.) Try to print.

This should fix the issue for you.

• For further assistance please follow all the prescribed steps from this link:  http://hp.care/2v0x03q  for troubleshooting printer issues when it is not found on the network.
  • This link shows you how to setup the printer on a wireless network for a Mac or a Windows computer.:  http://hp.care/2uZVY3c Please follow all the relevant steps based on the operating system to resolve the issue.
  • if nothing works, and the printer does not maintain a wireless connection, then you could follow all the prescribed steps from this link: http://hp.care/2v0037z  

Please perform these steps one link at a time and if any link fixes the issue you could ignore the other links. 

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.