Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5640
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My printer will only copy in yellow colour.  I have tried changing the print preferences but it makes no difference.  It is only happening on the copy function i.e. printing from the computer in black is working fine.  I have changed the print cartridges.  This has only just happened in the last week or so.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@chriscameo,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing copy quality issues.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Touch Copy, Copy Document, or Copy Photo on the printer control panel, and then select any available basic settings that apply to your copy job.

2. Touch Settings or the gear icon  to open the copy job options. You might need to scroll down the control panel screen to access all settings.

• Paper Type: Select the type of plain or photo paper for your copies.

• Quality: Select an available copy quality level.

• Lighter/Darker or Contrast: If the original is faded or too saturated, make the copy lighter or darker.

• Optimize or Enhancements: Select the type of item you are copying to improve quality, such as sharpening text and image edges or improving faded colors in photos.

• HP Copy Fix: Automatic copy quality and skew adjustment tool.

• Save Current Settings or Set as New Defaults: Retains the selected settings for future copy jobs.

3. Depending on the printer, touch Start, or return to the main Copy screen by touching Back, and then touch Start Black, Start Color, or OK to start the copy job.

Step 2: Reset the printer and check the power source

Reset the printer to clear certain error states, and then check the power source to make sure the printer is getting enough power to operate the copier.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer, disconnect the power cord from the power source, and then wait 30 seconds.

2. If you are using a power strip or multi-plug adapter, connect the cord directly to a wall outlet to make sure the printer is getting enough power.

3. Reconnect the power cord to the printer, and then try making a copy.

• If the issue persists, connect the printer to a different wall outlet to determine if the original outlet is causing the issue.

• If the issue persists using a different wall outlet, continue to the next step.

If the issue persists, then follow the steps in the below article.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-envy-5640-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6583033/document/c0435...

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have followed your recommended steps and the problem persists.  If I print in word e.g. then the text is black, if the printer does a test it is also black; if I scan a doc to the computer then print it is black.  If I copy directly from the printer it is yellow, not only the text but the surrounding blank space if a smaller piece of paper is used to copy.  This is so random.

HP Recommended

@chriscameo,

Let's reset the copy settings to defaults and check if it helps.

Here is how it is done.

From the printer setup menu navigates to printer maintenance and go to restore and select copy.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have followed the restore settings as you suggest but still no change. 😞

HP Recommended

@chriscameo,

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.