Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

HP Envy 7640 Photo Tray Blocked

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Tom0401,

Welcome to HP Support Community,

I would suggest you to first remove and insert the photo tray. I would suggest you go through the steps suggested in this support document for - HP ENVY 5640, 5660, 7640 Printers - 'Photo Tray Problem' Error

Try removing the tray and then reinsert the same to try and fix the issue.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did the Photo Tray Problem solution. No joy. Pulled the tray assy from the printer numerous times. Removed all the paper and pulled the power cord. Looked inside for paper jam, Removed paper guide looked for defects. No joy.

No obvious switches to check.

Photo tray moves to the forward position and then retracts and displays tray blocked error.

I'm able to move the photo try freely by hand.

HP Recommended

@LSRIS,

I would recommend you contact our HP support team to get the printer serviced or possible upgrade options.

HP support team can be reached on www.hp.com/contacthp

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried everything.  Tray seems to have no blockage and slides smoothly.  I believe it is planned obsolesence.  I recycled and bought a new one after losing more work hours than the printer is worth.  Terrible that there is no solution.

HP Recommended

I fixed it. I first tried to locate a paper jam or other issue from the top.

I then decided to turn it over and look at the bottom. Everything looked fine. I noticed a sensor and used a tissue to wipe the face of the sensor even thou it looked clean. There wasn't anything on the tissue to indicate that it had removed anything.

When I plugged the printer back in to power and the computer the photo tray homed up and it's been working fine ever since.

Go figure.

I do service work on life science research equipment and sometimes you never know what or why something just starts to work. The amazing thing is that you would think that the error will reoccur but most times it never does.

Sometimes just pulling a cable off and back on a board or sensor  is all it takes.

We'll call this one a win for the time being.

All the best

HP Recommended

@LSRIS,

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out.

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help.

Thank you 😀

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Could you describe where the sensor is that you noticed and wiped off - even upload a picture. 

Thank you. 

HP Recommended

@LSRIS,

Could you describe where the sensor is that you noticed and wiped off - maybe even upload a picture. 

I wiped the whole bottom of my 7640 printer - no change in the problem.   But I don't see anything that might be 'a sensor'.

Thank you. 

HP Recommended

I found the sensors and cleaned them and the photo tray blocked error message is now gone. 

You can find the sensors by: 

- Shutting down the printer

- Unplugging the printer

- Pull the unloading tray out (tray above the paper tray)

- Flip the printer on to its back to see the bottom of the printer

- Pull the paper tray out as far as it will go

You'll see two clear plastic pieces about the size of the nail on your little finger. I wiped them off with a cloth. Put the printer back together and sat it right side up. Plugged in the printer and the photo tray blocked error message is gone. 

Hope this helps

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.