Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
inktank 315(310 series)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought this HP printer in 2018 but only unboxed it in feb this year after I built my new computer, it is now 9 days past the warranty period and I am unable to get it to print in black from the time I hooked it up. On non MS documents it prints in a soft grey (also in colour)but in MS word it will only print in colour and not black, on docs where numbers and colour hi lights are listed they do print but no words at all. In pdf docs it will print the original document but not what I have entered on it, if I do a photo print of the document again it prints it in a soft grey and not black. Ink tank is full so there is ink in the system. Word documents come out blank even though you hear the printing sounds coming from the printer, getting very frustrated as MS have checked everything and think it is the printer rather than their software. Why wont this printer print in black, even the HP colour test page prints the colour  but not any of the black ones, have tried using office pro plus 19 & 16 (both genuine)but does not help

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@seajae

Welcome to the HP support community.

Try the steps mentioned in this HP document to fix the issue:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hi, this was the first thing I did, the ink tanks were filled for the first time, the print heads were fitted for the first time so both are new and never used, paper is good quality that I have been using for several years on a canon printer with no problems, did a clean etc, checked to make sure the latest drivers were used so I have done everything as suggested but it makes no difference, black will not print, best I can get is a grey, when I have tried to print a larger block of black it comes out a brownish grey colour so it has to be a fault in the printer or the ink feed.  I have used HP printers over the years and had no problems but this one certainly seems like a lemon and I should not have to purchase a new print head for a new printer when it may not even be the problem

HP Recommended

@seajae

This looks like a hardware issue.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.