04-16-2018 04:54 PM - edited 04-16-2018 06:39 PM
Printer makes a grinding noise several times when printer is turned on. After several episodes of grinding noises the printer then prints ok. I am using genuine hp cartridges. What is causing the grinding noise? This issue occurs randomly and once the printer is warmed up it seems to work ok.
Solved! Go to Solution.
04-17-2018 03:07 PM
Welcome to the HP Forums!
Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.
I reviewed your post and I understand that the printer is making grinding noise.
Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.
In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.
- When was the last time the printer was working fine?
- Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?
Meanwhile, I would like to inform you that when you turn on the printer it performs maintenance and usually at that time it makes noise. However, I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.
- With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
- Remove USB cable, if present.
- Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
- Now plug back the power cable straight into a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
- Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.
Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!
If the solution provided helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Your feedback counts!
I am an HP Employee
04-18-2018 10:12 AM
Thank you for your reply.
The grinding noise happens randomly. There are many times when the printer starts normally without any grinding noise. Normally the printer is turned off & only turned on when I need to use it. I am familiar with the normal warm up noises. This grinding noise is clearly abnormal and much louder and only happens during the warm up period. It could be gears that are skipping or not meshing properly. I do not know where to look for that. When the grinding eventually stops the printer prints normally. The last time the printer worked correctly was this morning. I have not done any troubleshooting. I performed the steps that you have suggested. I did have the printer connected to a surge protector power strip but have now plugged the printer directly into the wall outlet. It did start normally after I performed the steps.
04-18-2018 03:01 PM
Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!
I recommend you observe the printer and check.
If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.
Good day! Take care 🙂
I am an HP Employee