Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello, My printer was working fine until it ran out of black ink.  I replaced the cartridge and now all I'm getting are blank pages.  It acts like it's printing but it's not.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@rx-907_

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand the HP office-jet 4635 is printing only blank pages,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you try with a set of different cartridges?

Have you reseated the black cartridge to ensure it's working fine?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

Solution one: Remove the black cartridge

If you just set up your printer and you notice that black ink is missing or faded on your printouts, follow these steps to remove the black cartridge and print only with the tri-color cartridge. This allows the printer to operate in single-cartridge mode, which creates composite black from the tri-color cartridge.

1. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

2. Locate the slots on the left and right sides of the printer.

Figure : Locate the slots on the sides of the printer

Image: Locate the slots on the sides of the printer
  3. Slide your fingers into the two slots, and then gently lift up to open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the cartridge access area. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue.

Figure : Open the cartridge access door

Image: Open the cartridge access door
  4. To release the cartridge, lift the lid on the cartridge slot, and then gently push the lid back until it stops.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It worked this way. By taking out the black cartridge.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.