Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 6500A Plus
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My name is Dave Hildebrand i am trying to install the latest firmware for my printer however it is not possible the old trick  changing the value of VerifyDownloadID=1 to VerifyDownloadID=0 does not work. I will get and config file error message.

Can anyboy hel to make it possible to install the latest firmware OJ6500_E710n-z_R1621A  to my printer?

The current firmware is CIUP1FN1206AR  my Productnumeber is CN557A  Model E710n

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is what i found on the internet and it works for me !!!!!

Hope it will work for many more people !

Update firmware HP OfficeJet 6500A Plus E710n when installer greyed out, 1126 to 1206

Just came across a really cunning trick to update the firmware for an HP OfficeJet 6500A Plus E710n printer / scanner / copier / fax device. Its the All-in-One Plus model, aka product code CN557A.

On the status page, the device was reporting firmware version CIP1FN1126AR - essentially release 1126. Checking HP downloads shows a newer firmware, release 1206. Note that the firmware won't show on the support website if you specify your OS as Windows 10 - choose Win 7 instead.

When you download and run the latest firmware updater from HP, a file called OJ6500-E710n-z_R1206A.exe it spots the printer correctly on the network or WiFi. However the update button is greyed out when you specify the printer you want updated. No matter what compatibility settings / firewall / OS / computer / ethernet / WiFi / USB combination you try it won't let you update.

Here's the cunning bit - go into Control Panel > Printers, find the 6500A to update, right click and make sure its shared, preferably with a short name and no spaces, eg 6500A
 Now use Winzip or 7-Zip to open the OJ6500-E710n-z_R1206A.exe file, locate the .FUL file and extract/copy it to the desktop. I'd right-click and rename it to something much shorter, eg 6500A.FUL

Then start a Command Prompt - easiest way is to go to Start > Search (or Run) and type
     COMMAND

In the black DOS box that comes up, type a couple of commands ...
     CD %USERPROFILE\DESKTOP
     copy /b 6500A.FUL \\PC\6500A
[note that PC is the name of your computer, you can find it in Control Panel > System]

This sends the file as a binary transfer direct to the printer and forces the update. You should see the printer go into an update mode and restart. Takes a few minutes for it to complete

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi,

Run the firmware utility, once the status appears as Not Applicable, open the Task Manager and locate the firmware utility process, right click it and select to open file location.

Open the file and change VerifyDownloadID=1 to 0 and save the changes, then click the Refresh button on the already running utility.

The key would be making the change while the utility is already running, not prior lauching it.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I did what you told me i now can select the update but it stops  and tell sme to switchoff the printer en start allover.

Everytime the same result

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try performing a Cold Reset, then check if you may see any difference:

1. Press the Power button () to turn on the product.
  2. With the product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  4. Wait at least 15 seconds.
  5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button () to turn it on.

Now try updating the firmware and check for any change.

If the issue persists, do you try updating the firmware for any specific need?

Is the pritner in ready mode or may you experience any specific error?

HP Recommended

I would like to update because i can not use  the APPS in my touch screen anymore

HP Recommended

Ok, thanks for clarifying!

Please let me know if you may see any difference once performing a cold reset.

If the same persists, is teh printer connected to your PC via USB or through the network? assuming through the network, is it connected wirelessly or with an ethernet cable to your router?

HP Recommended

My printer is direct Connected via usb to The pc. I also have a connector via wiki to My netwerk. 

I have flashen The firmware before with an update but strange this one Will nog work 😪😪😪

HP Recommended

Sorry i did not thank You before, but i am realy thankfull for your help !

HP Recommended

This is what i found on the internet and it works for me !!!!!

Hope it will work for many more people !

Update firmware HP OfficeJet 6500A Plus E710n when installer greyed out, 1126 to 1206

Just came across a really cunning trick to update the firmware for an HP OfficeJet 6500A Plus E710n printer / scanner / copier / fax device. Its the All-in-One Plus model, aka product code CN557A.

On the status page, the device was reporting firmware version CIP1FN1126AR - essentially release 1126. Checking HP downloads shows a newer firmware, release 1206. Note that the firmware won't show on the support website if you specify your OS as Windows 10 - choose Win 7 instead.

When you download and run the latest firmware updater from HP, a file called OJ6500-E710n-z_R1206A.exe it spots the printer correctly on the network or WiFi. However the update button is greyed out when you specify the printer you want updated. No matter what compatibility settings / firewall / OS / computer / ethernet / WiFi / USB combination you try it won't let you update.

Here's the cunning bit - go into Control Panel > Printers, find the 6500A to update, right click and make sure its shared, preferably with a short name and no spaces, eg 6500A
 Now use Winzip or 7-Zip to open the OJ6500-E710n-z_R1206A.exe file, locate the .FUL file and extract/copy it to the desktop. I'd right-click and rename it to something much shorter, eg 6500A.FUL

Then start a Command Prompt - easiest way is to go to Start > Search (or Run) and type
     COMMAND

In the black DOS box that comes up, type a couple of commands ...
     CD %USERPROFILE\DESKTOP
     copy /b 6500A.FUL \\PC\6500A
[note that PC is the name of your computer, you can find it in Control Panel > System]

This sends the file as a binary transfer direct to the printer and forces the update. You should see the printer go into an update mode and restart. Takes a few minutes for it to complete
HP Recommended

Wow, Sardo1965, that was perfect for my Officejet 6500A firmware upgrade issue!!  Thank you !! Worked perfectly !!!!

Many times, I have to try several 'fixes' to overcome a problem.  No one else had posted this command line solution.  I ran command window as administrator, even thoiugh it may not have been necessary.

Now with the updated firmware, webservices is enabled for the first time since September 2016.  I've got the claim code and printer email address without any problems.  It was better that trying to hack the registry to force the install.  HP should have tested this before they released to the public anyway.   Cheers !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.