Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I tried this fix and I keep getting network not found error.  Can you please help me with the command prompt?  Running Windows 7.  Thanks so much for the help.

HP Recommended
I used the usb connection for my printer
HP Recommended

I used the usb and still getting the same error in my command prompt.  Running the file and then opening it and changing the value from 1 to  0 helped the grayed out issue but I just keep getting a turn off printer error and tried the command prompt instructions and just can't getit to work for me.  Thanks for the help.  The ability to not upgrade the firmware is really irritating and I have lost days trying to resolve this..

HP Recommended

Did you change your computer name like in the example, if not it will not work!

HP Recommended

Here's the cunning bit - go into Control Panel > Printers, find the 6500A to update, right click and make sure its shared, preferably with a short name and no spaces, eg 6500A Now use Winzip or 7-Zip to open the OJ6500-E710n-z_R1206A.exe file, locate the .FUL file and extract/copy it to the desktop. I'd right-click and rename it to something much shorter, eg 6500A.FUL Then start a Command Prompt - easiest way is to go to Start > Search (or Run) and type COMMAND In the black DOS box that comes up, type a couple of commands ... CD %USERPROFILE\DESKTOP copy /b 6500A.FUL \\PC\6500A [note that PC is the name of your computer, you can find it in Control Panel > System]

HP Recommended

I did use my correct computer name in the command prompt and renamed my printer and shared it.  Any other ideas?  I think it is an error in how I am typing in my command prompt.  Thank you so much for the help.  On one of the other solutions Talon I think recommended putting the file in root C to run it but I don't know how to do that either:)  Thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

I just tried it again and it finally worked!!!!  Thanks so very much!!  It seems I was typing in the command prompt as you had written and not typing it in how you printed it in the box and it was slightly different.  I connected with a USB cable.  You saved me $99 the cost of my printer to update this.  I really appreciate it.

HP Recommended

Brilliant! A week ago I thought I would be dropping this printer off at the tip, I had a problem with the Ink System and then some firmware issues.

Turns out I had a fault batch of inks, so with that replaced and a new complimentary print head - and now this firmware update I'm good to go.

Took a few attempts to 'push' the firmware update, but mostly because I only skim read the instructions, once it managed to transfer the data (which took seconds), it was about anoher 45 seconds before anything happened.

Thanks for your solution!

HP Recommended

Hi. I have the exact same problem. I cannot run the Commands at the CMD prompt. I have a regular Windows 10 configuration. You said, "copy /b 6500A.FUL \\PC\6500A"

Assuming my computer name is "XYZ" and I renamed the file to 6500A.FUL ... then ....

Then I should type >copy /b 6500A.FUL \\XYZ\6500A

But this does NOT work because I dont think my printer is at "\\XYZ\6500A"!?!?!?

What would you type if you had a standard Windows 10 configuration? I have no idea where my printer is in the Operating System.

Thank you very much.

HP Recommended

For what it's worth, the direct binary copy trick  also worked from Firmware version CIP1FN1126AR to CIP1FN1621AR.

I was running from inside a VMWare Fusion 8.1 Windows 10 guest on a MacOS host.

And for completeness: this is on a HP OfficeJet 6500 E710n-z

The copy was virtally instantaneous over wifi. 

The printer initially looked like it was going to print something, then went into its firmware install mode.

The install mode took about 5 minutes.

Public service note 🙂 Remember to Share the printer for the network path/name to be enabled.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.