Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium
macOS 10.12 Sierra

My HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium prints by itself fine. However, when I ask it to print something from my non networked MAC powerbook, it says "Waiting for printer to become available" even though nothing else is printing. Eventually message will say "printing, 31%" or some odd message indicating it is trying to print something but never does.MAC is hard wired to the printer.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @msjanew

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest firmware from your MAC.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on MAC

Click here to know how.

Check the connectivity between the printer and the MAC

If you are using a USB cable, make sure the cable is directly connected between the MAC and the printer.

The use of a USB hub is not recommended. Also, make sure the cable is connected to a USB 2.0 port on your MAC.

Do you have an Anti-virus/firewall installed on the MAC?

• Check if the printer is getting recognized by your MAC:
  1. From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac.
  2. Click System Report.
  3. Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB.

USB 3 devices appear under USB 3.0 Bus, and USB 2 devices appear under USB 2.0 Bus. The printer should be under the USB 2.0 Bus

Install the printer using AirPrint driver

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

6.) Try to print.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar,

Thanks for offering your suggestions. We tried following your advice, but still have same issue. I keep getting the "waiting for printer to become available" message. We then tried updating the mac mohave OS, but same issue persisted. Upon booting up, I got the "systems extension blocked" message below.

My next step is to try re-imaging the whole machine, but I am hesitant to do that since I can test pages can print off the printer itself and the problem is just in how the printer is not being picked up by the MAC.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 1.57.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 12.39.31 PM.png

HP Recommended

One more clue. I checked the USB info under About this MAC, it is showing under USB 3.0, not USB 2.0

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 4.39.04 PM.png

HP Recommended

@msjanew

I suggest we reset the printing System and then Re-add the printer as Airprint

Note: Resetting the printing system removes all printers and scanners from the printers queue and clears all print jobs and print settings from the system, including printers and scanners that are not from HP

1. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

2. Click Printers & Scanners, Print & Scan, or Print & Fax.

3. Right-click (or Control + click) anywhere inside the Printers window, and then click Reset printing system.

Figure : Clicking Reset printing system

Image: Click Reset printing system
  4. Click Reset or OK.

5. If prompted, type your username and password, and then click OK.

The printing system resets.

6. Turn off the printer, wait 5 seconds, and then turn on the printer.

7. Wait until the printer is idle and silent.

8. In the Printers window on the Mac, click the Add button .

9. Select your printer from the list, and then click Add.

It might take a few seconds before your printer displays in the Printers list.

10. Add the printer as Airprint

Keep me posted how it goes

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.