Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

It is quite alright.  I literally stumbled upon this thread and saw no response from HP but I can see a lot of people need help.  Thank you so much for all of that information. I know everything I need to now to assist you to the best of my abilities.  However, I do have to apologize for any seemingly canned responses to get to the bottom of this.

My main concern - server connection error within the network diagnostics.  Have you set a static IP for the printer?  I will post a picture so you can see what I am talking about.  Here are the instructions if not.  These steps are to connect you to a server that doesn't have problems (Google's DNS).

Setting a Static IP in the Officejet 8600

Start by printing the network configuration page so you know your current settings (I don't want to change that, the subnet mask, or the default gateway).

1.Type only the numbers of your printer's IP address into a web browser and if you see information about your printer then you are successfully in the printer's embedded web server (EWS). 

2.Select the "Network" tab and under the word Wireless on the left hand side you will see IPv4 if your printer is setup wirelessly. 

3.Click on IPv4 and then highlight the circle to the right that says Manual IP. Next, select the gray button below that says "Suggest a Manual IP Address."  This will fill in most of the boxes for you to eliminate the risk of user error.  This will change your IP address so feel free to keep the new IP address or but I recommend keeping the one you currently have (the one you entered into the web browser to start with).

4.At the bottom of this page you have a preferred and alternate DNS server.  The preferred DNS server should say 8.8.8.8 and the alternate DNS server should say 8.8.4.4.  

5.Reboot the printer with the power button after clicking "Apply" to help complete the process.  After doing so you have successfully completed all troubleshooting steps to set a static IP.  

The purpose of this is to address the server error you received.  I can not say this is going to get you printing, this is just the first step to fixing something that is not in any document but, by the current IP address you have, you may have already done this.

*Important question: If I gave you instructions on resetting your printing system, is this your only printer you have installed on this computer?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

static ip 8600.PNG

HP Recommended

I successful set the static ip and implemented all your suggestions.  As you thought, it did solve my printing problem.  This is the only printer on my network.  

Thanks for your diligence.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. So setting a static IP did get you printing again?  If not, I was going to suggest this document from Apple Support next: How to reset the printing system.  This will uninstall the printer (or all printers actually) so then you would need to re-install the Full Feature software and driver for your specific OS. 

Just for you dclay79 - Officejet 8600 Premium Full Feature Software and Driver for 10.6.8.

After setting that IP address, you don't have to worry so much if the electricity flashes or the router hiccups that it will just automatically assign it another IP and cause you to lose connectivity. This is just great practice in general.  It will be most helpful when reinstalling the software if you have to.

Also, this printer is quite sensitive to surge protectors when it is setup on a wireless network.  From my understanding it is either competing for power regulation or subject to electrical interference.  I have fixed some very strange problems plugging this printer directly into a wall outlet.

However, if this actually did resolve your printing problem then that is GREAT!! 😄

HP Recommended

Oh I missed typed and didn't proof!  I meant to say that changing to static ip DID NOT solve my printing problems.  I will try your last suggestion and keep you posted.

HP Recommended

You left enough clues for me to assume as much. 🙂 It is okay.  That is why I provided that last suggestion.  I really hope resetting the printing system fixes this for you!

HP Recommended

OK, here is what I did.  I deleted the print queues according to the Applie guidelines that deletes all files.  I have actually done this several times already.  I restarted my MacBook Pro.  I downloaded new HP software which I have done several times but tried again.  Reinstalled the software, readded the printer queues and still no luck.  : -(

HP Recommended
My printer is directly plugged into the wall, no surge protector.
HP Recommended

Sorry to hear all that.  Now with all of the basics out of the way, have you tried manually adding the printer to your printer list by selecting the gear below and entering in the printer's IPv4 IP address or is the printer in this list, it is just not printing?  I assume you see the printer here but nothing happens.

Check the router's firmware and make sure it is up-to-date as well.  What happens to this printer when you make a 2 page copy (standalone)? 

I have two Officejet 8600s on my Mac.  One installed and one for Airprint but they are technically the same printer.  Do you see the 8600 here?  If you are having problems printing from offline applications and with the printer freezing up between print jobs using Airprint, I do have a suggested reset that will restore the printer to a "like-new" condition.  

Try these simple suggestions first. I hope it is as simple as a firmware update for your wireless router. Let me know if you need help finding that out.

HP Recommended
Thank you for the discussion -- this solved my problem as I had the exact same synptoms as dclay79. I have had many months of it sometimes working and sometimes not, so this solution is "exciting" because it may mean I won't have further issues.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.