Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

We just purchased a new HP officejet pro 8600 however for some reason we cannot get my macbook pro to print to it. My mac says it is all connected to it. It is listed in the printer que and all the settings look fined, but when I send a document to the printer it won't print. It did print the first day we had it (about a week ago) but it stopped and we cannot figure out what to do. My daughter's pc will print to it, and so will my husband's pc. This is the first time I've had problems printing to an  hp from my mac. Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I've had my Officejet Pro 8600 about six months.  Just recently I've had the same issue.  It continues to print from my Windows computers but not the Mac.   The job goes into the print que but is place on a Hold.  I've tried numerous fixes including deleting the printer and re-installing.  Usually deleting and re-installing will fix it for a while, but now even that doesn't work.  I believe the only permanent fix is to purchase a different printer.  

View solution in original post

54 REPLIES 54
HP Recommended

I've had my Officejet Pro 8600 about six months.  Just recently I've had the same issue.  It continues to print from my Windows computers but not the Mac.   The job goes into the print que but is place on a Hold.  I've tried numerous fixes including deleting the printer and re-installing.  Usually deleting and re-installing will fix it for a while, but now even that doesn't work.  I believe the only permanent fix is to purchase a different printer.  

HP Recommended
Thanks so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. It helps me make a decision.
HP Recommended

What kind of a solution is this? Who marked this as a Solution? I guess the original questioner must be the one. I would like to see a real solution.

HP Recommended

Did anybody ever get an anser to this?

HP Recommended

I have the same issue.  Any solutions?  Mine worked for 9 months with no problem and suddenly quit with no changes to equipment or configuration.

HP Recommended

Hopefully this rather generic document will help get you printing from your Mac again.

--Can't Print?--

If this doesn't work for you answer a few questions for me please:

1. What OS version are you using?
  2. How is it connected to the computer (USB, wireless or Ethernet)?
  3. If on a network, what is the printer's IP address?
  4. Have you updated the printer's firmware?
  5. Which model of Officejet 8600 do you have? Is it the 8600 (N911a), 8600 Plus (N911g), or 8600 Premium(N911n)?

Sorry for the delay in the response but I am happy to help. Smiley Happy

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

Are you kidding?  I went through that generic list 3 days ago.  It has not helped nor has it helped anyone else on this list with the problem.  

I have a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6.8.  I have an HP 8600 Premium printer.  

Printing from the MacBook, the print job sits in the queue.  Network, internet, wireless connection to printer checks out.  When I run network diagnostics from the printer dialogue box I get a server error which says, "Can't find officejet Pro 8600 [93600C]._ipp._tcp.local." 

I can print from my iPad using airprint, but I have to shut the printer off in between each print job.  I can also print from Gmail the same way, but can't print from Word or local application on Mac.

IP is fine.  I have downloaded and install new print drivers and software.  I have disconnected and reconnected modem, routers and printer multiple times.

HP Recommended

No I am not kidding, in fact, I am trying to help.  The firmware update released in late March of this year directly addresses this problem.  The generic document was to cover all the different types of OS versions affected by this.  The IP address was to ensure it was within DHCP range and particularly not an APIPA like a 169.xx.xx.xx  or to see if you set a static IP since so many people are affected by this, you may all be at different points in troubleshooting.

Trust me, I understand you are frustrated and I'm more than happy to help.  I am particularly concerned if you have the most recent firmware (CLP1CN1304AR) as this has fixed a lot problems people have been having (considering the date on this thread precedes the time the firmware was released).

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

OK, so sorry, but as you say I am very frustrated at this point and when I need a printer the most.  This has been an excellent printer up to this point.

I am running Mac OS X 10.6.8.

The printer is an Officejet 8600 Premium (N911n) on a wireless network.

The firmware version of the printer is CLP1CN1304AR.

My IP is 172.16.12.109

Is there any other info that would benefit?

Thank you for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.