Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hello rebegol!

Thank you for signing in to let me know!  My fingers will be crossed for you that after following the above steps you no longer have a single problem with your printer! Keep me posted if you do as I am always happy to help. :OpenSmile:

--Cass--

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

Having just spent several hours troubleshooting this problem, for people experiencing the same issue here is what worked.

A problem:

HP 8600 randomly stops printing using wireless (for me problems started when I added a USB connection or because I applied a critical HP software update).

Wireless connectivity is fine, can connect to printer web page (http://hpa8a513.local./) and can Print Self Test Page works (Home -> Printer Status -> more details... Print Self Test Page. So the problem only occurs when printing from applications (e.g. MS Word, Preview). Print jobs just sit in queue.

A possible resolution:

Pretty tried everything described in this thread (uninstall/reinstall HP software; power cycle hardware; reset print queues) with no success.

What did work was setting up a Static IP Address (see previous description) then manually adding the printer based on that IP address:

Systen Preferences -> Print & Fax -> + (add a printer) -> IP

Protocol: Line Printer Daemon - LPD

Address: enter Static IP Address selected

Queue: leave blank

Name: what ever you want to call it

Print Using -> Select Print Software -> HP Officers Pro 8600

Click Add 

This worked and I am now back operating using wireless. Fingers crossed this will still be working tomorrow morning!

HP Recommended

Thank you for sharing your fix.  It is good to know what is working for people.  I actually made a complete list of troubleshooting steps to help save some time scrolling through certain threads in hopes of finding a solution once and for all.

--Printer Will Not Respond To Touch and Network Communication Is Lost--

This link contains step-by-step instructions on how to set a static IP and other preventative steps you can take to keep this from happening again.  

I hope you find this useful.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the pointer to the thread - very comprehensive.

However, the issue here was wireless printing and not wireless connectivity. A lot of people are (were) able to communicate with the printer using wireless and print from the printer control web page but not print from applications. And this seemed to particularly be a problem for Mac where some of the diagnostic tools are not available.

This issue was also random - working fine one minute and then not working at all.

When I was troubleshooting this I found a lot of the threads focused on connectivity and not the printing issue. Anyway, its all working and still is this morning! 

HP Recommended

Oh, I see now, it is limited to the other applications.  Interesting :smileyindifferent: I will definitely keep an eye on this issue and see if I can recreate it but in the meantime, I am very happy it is still working for you.  Thank you for the clarification.

Let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

HP Recommended

My HO officejet pro 8600 used to print from wireless devices and did for months.  Suddenly it has stopped.  My  PC still works, but my ipad does not.

HP Recommended

How are you printing from your iPad?  Are you using Airprint or are you using an app?

Press the ePrint button in the upper left hand corner of the printer's touchscreen display (looks like a piece of paper) and please tell me if you are still connected to web-services or if you get an error message.

HP Recommended

I'm not sure what Airprint is.  For example, on mu iPad I pick a random website, i just click on the curved arrow at the top and a pulldown menu drops on which one option is print.  When I click print, it knows it is trying to get to the HP officejet 8600 and says the print insturctions have been sent.  The webservices are turned on (no error message) at the printer  and every indication I can find says that the wireless capabilites are set correctly and working.  Again, I have no problem printing wirelessly from my pc.  Another Mac in our office cannot print either.  Two weeks ago, both my iPad and the Mac were printing without any problem.

HP Recommended

Airprint is what Apple products use to print to wireless printers on the network.  So for instance what you just described to me is Airprint.  If you could please print what is called a Printer Status Report by going to the Setup Menu on the printer and under Print Reports you will see it.

When it prints, I want to know two things.  First is line 7 called the Firmware Version and line 17 which is the printer's URL.  This is going to be the same as the IP address.

Since the device is able to find the printer but nothing prints, the first step is to turn off the printer and the Apple products with their power buttons.  Then go over to the wireless router and remove the power cord for 10 seconds.  Plug the power cord back in and after all the lights reboot, turn on the iPad and Mac and then turn on the printer last.  Then try to print.  Let me know if that helps.  If not, please answer my two questions above.

--Airprint Basics--

HP Recommended

Kudos!  Actually, I had done all the things you suggested which are also suggested on an HP help site.  By re-starting the devices, the router and the printer, the problem was fixed and I'm printing away.  Thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.