Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

This printer has destroyed my WiFi connection. For example, it removed the original WiFi name and replaced it with “HP printer...”. Whilst this enables me to print from my computer it has destroyed my connectivity completely. I subsequently found the original modem/router name (TP link) and went to the base of the router for the original password (rather than the modified one). My iPad is now ticked for this but will still not connect to internet. Can anyone out there help? Please, I’m desperate! I 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The network showing with your printer name means the WiFi Direct feature has been enabled on the printer.

This does not remove your network provided by your router. 

It provides a means to connect to the printer when a router is not available.

It does not provide an internet connection. 

Please refer to page 65 in the user guide to disable the feature.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05439290 

You can then follow the section "Connect your printer to a wireless network with a router" section to connect to your home router.

This will provide also provide an internet connection.

I work on behalf of HP
Regards,
StretchMusic

If the answer provided resolves your issue please press the thumbs up button in order to make the answer available to others.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately the steps to disable the printer (Press and hold the Wireless button and the Cancel button from the printer control panel together for three seconds) do not work. Furthermore, reading the HP instruction manual is like the “Chinese room” problem - I could be here a lifetime working on this. Let me reiterate my problem: I now have NO internet access. I’m typing this from a smartphone. For example, one method suggested in the instructions is to go to tools to reconfigure. This is not possible on my MacBook because “tools” does not exist. The only reference in the software is “print quality tools” but this is greyed out because I no longer have WiFi access. What I mean is that my previous WiFi access name no longer exists. It was taken over by “HP Setup...2600 series”. It’s as if HP setup acts like a Trojan by infiltrating the WiFi software. I’m completely at a loss other than get a new WiFi box and throw the printer in a skip. But I would still like your advice just in case I’m missing something so obvious before I take more drastic action. What should I do? Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi

Getting a new WiFi box seems a bit drastic, especially as you believe the evil HP software will control all.

So to PRINT   ---   To print from a wireless-capable computer (OS X and macOS)
1. Make sure you have turned on Wi-Fi Direct on the printer.
2. Turn on Wi-Fi on the computer.
For more information, see the documentation provided by Apple.
3. Click the Wi-Fi icon and choose the Wi-Fi Direct name, such as DIRECT-**-HP DeskJet 2600 series (where
** are the unique characters to identify your printer).
If Wi-Fi Direct is turned on with security, enter the password when prompted.
4. Add the printer.   REMOVE
a. Open System Preferences .
b. Depending on your operating system, click Printers & Scanners .
c. Click + below the list of printers at the left.
d. Select the printer from the list of detected printers

(the word “Bonjour” is listed the right column
beside the printer name), and click Add.

Which suggests -- System Preferences , and remove the Printer.

Also (macbooks have ethernet connections ??)

""open your Applications folder, then open Utilities and double-click on Terminal, or press Command - spacebar to launch Spotlight and type "Terminal," then double-click the search result.

You'll see a small window with a white background open on your desktop.""

try typing

ping 127.0.0.1

ping 192.168.0.1

ping 13.107.4.52

HP Recommended

Dear distinguished professor,  

Followed steps 1 & 2 as you stated.

Step 3 DIRECT-**-HP DeskJet 2600 series (where
** are the unique characters to identify your printer). Done but note: this is an "unsecured wifi connection".

Step 4. I removed the printer. (Incidentally as you asked my MacBook does not have an ethernet connection.)

Then you say "open your Applications folder" and "Terminal" and type "

ping 127.0.0.1

ping 192.168.0.1

ping 13.107.4.52"

What exactly was the point of generating thousands of lines of text.

Let me restate my problem more clearly:

I bought this printer a few months ago and my first connection to the internet was unproblematic. Then I moved to a new place with a different router and encountered the same problem I began with yesterday. That is, the printer changed my network settings and did this with an insecure connection to the internet through the "DIRECT-**-HP DeskJet 2600 series". I did not like this but I lived with this uncertainty. This week, I have moved again using a different router again hence my new problem, except I now have no internet access (despite putting in the router information stated on the underside of the router). Whilst the router is ticked there is no access to the internet. Thus, when I say "just like a Trojan!" I do not imply the phrase "evil". The is the best I can do to describe a simile as a factual statement. This printer has twice now altered my wifi settings irretrievably. This logically leads me to the conclusion that these printers should carry a warning "Beware: don't try to wirelessly connect with various routers, use a cable and print directly". Incidentally, I have two other HP printers back at home in the UK so Im not a novice. But this one is seriously problematic. I will NEVER use this wirelessly again and HP need to consider customer experience better than they do.

I am truly grateful for your reply but I'm afraid it simply gives me more problems than I need.

HP Recommended

Hi

And the ping results were?

To initiate a ping test in Mac OS X:
  1. Open Terminal by navigating to /Applications/Utilities.
  2. In the Terminal window type ping <server> , where <server> is the hostname or IP address of the server that you want to ping. ...
  3. Press Enter. ...
  4. To stop the ping, after seeing enough results, press Ctrl + C.

The idea is you get a response.

:\>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),  NO LOSSES.

\>PING BBC.CO.UK

Pinging BBC.CO.UK [151.101.0.81] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=52
Reply from 151.101.0.81: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 151.101.0.81:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),  NO LOSSES.

######

I have two other HP printers back at home in the UK so Im not a novice.

I got several HP printers here in the Heart of England (Meriden), and actually try to understand things.

Well if you don't appreciate that SKY is a 192.168.1.1 network and Virgin media is a 192.168.0.1 network and by changing the router/isp you change the name (SSID) and many other subtleties, like 2.4 ghz or 5.0 ghz.

despite putting in the router information stated on the underside of the router

INTO WHERE?

As you are no novice, then try some commands that are POSIX compliant.

ifconfig -a   

https://ithelp.brown.edu/kb/articles/find-the-mac-address-of-a-computer-or-device#Mac

Take a picture of the router label and show that your macbook IP address is in the same range as the Router/Modem.

Buy a NON HP printer and have exactly the same problems every time you change networks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.