Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP office jet pro 8710 serial [edit]
macOS 10.15 Catalina

When printing 5x7 glossy  photo paper the paper  hangs up on the trailing edge as printing is nearing completion. This leaves a small angle of white glossy paper without any image on the entire trailing edge of the print cycle. It seems as tho one of the guiding wheels (if there are such things) is hanging up on the photo which delays proper photo print on last 10% of paper.I completed printer self-alignment and calibration. Printing on plain paper is terrific with color or black and white. Self help with printer failed to fix photo printing. I think the printer is about 6 years old. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@bigheadache, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

To assist you better, which application are you using to print?

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on MAC

Click here to know how.

Check the print settings on MAC. Make sure the correct paper size and paper type are selected before printing.

Refer to this document.

Also, check if the photo papers are loaded properly. You may refer to this document to know how to load photo papers.

Since you are able to print fine on plain paper, this does not seem like an alignment issue. 

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I could not find the right site to update firm ware. All I got done was HP smart ware installed.When I search mac for printer firm ware I find nothing. Maybe it is goggleable. I have loaded paper properly and set the mac to the right paper settings. I see no soft ware to update for the mac. it is new Catalina version. I access photo from the photos app , choose photo, then print. Maybe 6 years is the planned obsolesence life...

thanks for reply and help.

Problem not solved but will try again.

HP Recommended

@bigheadache

As the firmware update for the printer is not available for macOS 10.15 on the HP support site, you may update the printer firmware from the control panel.

On the printer screen, go to Setup > Printer maintenance > Update the printer.

Have you tried printing on a 4*6 photo paper and check if the issue persists?

If you have checked the print settings and the issue persists, please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it could be a possible hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello . thanks again for reply. I checked for printer updates and none available. I tried 4x 6 glossy paper and it did not print right either. A couple weeks ago I also tried 8x10 and it failed even worse. The printer is about 6 years old so even if a hardware problem I am sure no warranty. thanks again for reply.  BTW- serial number is [edit]

HP Recommended

@bigheadache

That's unfortunate. The issue seems to be with the paper rollers and as it is a hardware issue. HP Support team will be able to assist you better.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.