Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

A number of people seem to be having scan problems after upgrading to OS X Mavericks.  Me too.

Working with LaserJet Pro 300 color MFP M375 nw.

I want to use HP Scan from my iMac, connected to the LaserJet, to scan from that printer/scanner to my iMac (to thedesktop), as I've done a thousand times.

When I try, the appearance in the HP Scan window is all as usual.  But when I "send to folder," the .jpeg (or .pdf or .tif) that arrives on the desktop is (1) distorted and (2) partial.

NOTE: If I use the 'General Purpose' setting, no distortion - but with that setting I can't get 300 ppi, which is what I want.

I can also get a *sort of* result with the 3D setting.

However, the 'Documents with text' setting - the one I have always used - gives the same distored/chopped result no matter what variations I introduce.

There do not seem to be any software upgrades from Apple.

I can't find anything on the HP site for downloads to deal with the Mavericks OS.

Is something in the works from HP?  How will we know about it?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Susansatt,

You are expereincing the same scan issue tha a lot of folks are.  We are gettign the solution posted just as soon as it passes testing.  I can explain how to scan multiple pages into a single doc right now though. 

In Image Capture, 

Choose your scanner on the left (mine are listed under Shared), then click "Show Details" along the bottom.

Choose the format as PDF, then check the box for 'combine multiple pages into single file' (or similar words).

View solution in original post

352 REPLIES 352
HP Recommended

I have an HP c309a and can't save scans either :0(

HP Recommended

I have a Photosmart Premium C410a. After upgrading OS to Mavericks, a scanned photo looks normal in the window on the computer, but when I try to save or email it, I get an error message: "An error has occurred saving the file because it could not be written to. Check the properties for the file to make sure it is not read-only."

I don't find a Mavericks driver on the HP website, just drivers for earlier versions of the OS. 

What now?

HP Recommended

I have been using a Photosmart C5280 all in one printer for some time now without a problem untill I downloaded Mavericks. Now I cannot scan a doc into the computer. There does not seem to be a driver available on HP web site,  and no mention of any problems on apple.Why release an upgrade to op system if it makes your periferals unusable?

HP Recommended

There's a workaround (mentioned on another thread):

Instead of using HP Scan, dig out the Image Capture app that is standard Apple equipment.

The on-screen arrangement is entirely different, but with some adjustment of settings it allows scanning  from LaserJet to desktop folder.

But I still hope HP Scan -- or OS 10.9 -- gets fixed.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the info, I will give it a try.

HP Recommended

Here's a workaround for a machine with a USB port (I have the Photosmart Premium C410a):

After pressing Start Scan on the console, there's an option on the screen to scan to a USB flash drive. Then simply transfer the flash drive to your computer, and the scan is there as a .jpg file in a folder named DCIM.

I didn't see a way to eject the flash drive from the Photosmart, so I just removed it. When I plugged it into the cptr, I did not get an error message saying the flash drive had been improperly ejected.

HP Recommended

Hi Everyone,

There have been numerous reports of an HP Scan incompatibility on Mavericks.  Please be assured that we are looking into this issue and hope to have a resolution soon.  

At this time here is what we've observed:

* On many Macs (not all), images scanned in Black & White or Grayscale will not save properly.  The preview looks fine, but the output will be cropped and distorted.

* This issue is new for Mavericks.  Previous OS versions are not impacted.

Here are some known workarounds that may help you until this is properly resolved:

* Use Image Capture to scan.  Image Capture can be found in the Applications folder.  This scanning application does not appear to be affected by the file saving issues.

* Use the HP Scan Print dialog to save the output to PDF using one of the PDF workflow options.

* Use the "General Purpose" scanning preset.  This preset scans in color and so output is not affected.

* Change the settings for the "Documents with Text" preset to scan in full color.   You can also create a new preset based on the "Documents with Text" set for color if you plan to use these settings regularly.  Note that if you are not planning to process the documents for text extraction (OCR) then you can lower the scan resolution to 200 ppi to keep the file sizes more manageable since color scans can be much larger than grayscale or black & white.

I will try to provide more details as they emerge.  Thanks for everyone who has shared observations about their experience and configuration as this continues to be very helpful in tracking down root cause for this issue.

FretnBoutNutn
HP Recommended

It not a good solution for now.  Please fix this issue for all your HP users, preferably before Nov. 6th.

HP Recommended

Well...I have an Officejet 7310, and have the same with HP Scan (scrambled file on the first try, and cannot save at all after that).  I can scan with Preview and/or Image capture, but this does not offer the image control, color control, trimming and tweak rotations othat HP Scan offers.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.