Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer scanner was installed 2 months ago.

It was configured for wifi without problems.

I printed a single page of 8  photo (jpg) images as a test and it was satisfactory.

More recently I wanted to print similar photo compilations, but this time the result is black and white only.

I changed the cartridges supplied with the printer to the instant ink cartridges, this made no difference.

I tested with 3 different image viewer apps, so it's not an app problem.

I uninstalled the printer, rebooted the PC,then reinstalled the printer.

Hooray! -I got a page in colour ... but only one page!, all subsequent attempts were black and white again.

I used the print quality test which is in the printer's panel menu and that showed no problem, colour was there.

Regardless of that though, colour images sent from the PC are still printing as blackand white.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @AlanInEnnis

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

This seems like a print driver issue. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know how. Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for getting in touch.

I've not been back to you immediately because of being away over the xmas.

I am pretty sure I tried everything you suggested, but will go through it all again tomorrow to be certain.

One thing I did not try yet is the reset to factory default,so I will try that too then a complete reinstall.

I am a bit concerned that at the moment my instant ink account is being billed for printing test pages even if they don't work.

Anyway I will be back to you in a day or two.

HP Recommended

@AlanInEnnis Alright, take your time and keep us posted,

Good luck and a happy new year, in advance. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.