Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an Envy 4500 that has worked without much incident for many years. After returning to my dorm from winter break, it no longer takes print jobs from my laptop. I do not use it connected to the internet because my campus wifi does not allow it. I exclusively use it in "wireless direct" mode. The printer prints the test page just fine, but when I send a print job, I get an error in the print queue on my laptop.

I have spent a few hours troubleshooting, starting with the basics like the hp smart app, then checking my drivers, and finally trying to remove all trace of the printer from my laptop and starting fresh, none of which have worked (in fact after trying to remove the device from my laptop I have been left with a "removing device" message in my devices and printers settings and a grey-ed out icon for the printer in control panel.)

I have disconnected the printer from power, shut down, removed battery, and restarted my laptop. No help there.

At this point I have spent far more time than I would have cared to trying to fix this and HP's support has been literally useless to me.

Edit: I have been able to get a different device to send a job to the printer, leading me to believe it is a windows issue, not an HP issue

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Let_me_print Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are unable to print.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Please let us know if you are able to make a photocopy without any issue.

Please print the printer internal page and check.

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic report, and then evaluate the results.

1. On the printer control panel, press the Down Arrow  to scroll to Tools, and then press OK.

2. Press the Down Arrow  to scroll to Print Quality Report, and then press OK.

If the copy comes out well, then try the steps below to fix the issue:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control Panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control Panel – Devices and Printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now, click http://hp.care/2rpBprB to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I do not have a USB cable for this printer. Is it necessary during the setup process?

HP Recommended

@Let_me_print

I understand your concerns.

Please perform the below steps and check for the issue.

Restore n/w settings and reconnect the printer to the network 

1.      Turn off the Router, Printer, and computer/ mobile devices.  

2.      Wait for 60 seconds.  

3.      Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize.  

4.      Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself.  

Please make sure the printer and the PC/Phone are connected to the same wireless network.  

·         This printer supports only 2.4GHz networks. So, the PC should be on the 2.4GHz network.  

·         If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks. 

If the issue still persists, please perform the clean reinstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers

1.       In Windows, search for and open Programs and features   

2.       Select your HP Printer   

3.       Select Uninstall   

4.       In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers   

5.       In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’   

6.       Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.   

7.       Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)   

8.       Click on the “Drivers” tab   

9.       Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom   

10.   Select Ok   

11.   Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows   

12.   Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer. 

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.