Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 4620
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I am trying to print a black and white page.  Keep on getting a message printer low on ink.  Black cartridge is brand new.  Hardly ever use color and they are only 3 months old.  Click on settings/supply levels and it shows black about 80% full (it is brand new!), each color about 25% full whereas I estimate they are 8% to 90% full.  Anyway to override this false warning?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @bmichna

Is the issue specific to printing? Did you try making a copy? 

Place a document face down on the scanner glass and press the copy option on the printer control panel. Let me know if it makes a good copy or not.

If the copy also comes blank, then I'd suggest you try to clean the print head as suggested here: HP Officejet, Deskjet 4600 Printers - Black Ink Not Printing and other Print Quality Issues

Try the steps listed under "Solution 6".

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello, @bmichna – Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a fantastic location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

Going through your post, I understand that the printer is giving you false ink level warning while trying to print. Please check the ink level on the printer control panel to check the correct ink level. Touch the “tear drop” icon on the printer control panel to view the ink level on the printer.

If the level is good, then try to reset the printing system and then try printing.

• Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
  • Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
  • Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
  • Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
  • Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
  • Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
  • Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.
  • Click the “Add button” (+).
  • Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.
  • Click “Print Using...”, and then select the name of your printer (By default “AirPrint” would be selected)

Let me know how that goes!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I followed the advice given to me by Dvortex.  Everything seemed to go well except when I initiate Print, page always comes out Blank.

HP Recommended

Hello, @bmichna

Is the issue specific to printing? Did you try making a copy? 

Place a document face down on the scanner glass and press the copy option on the printer control panel. Let me know if it makes a good copy or not.

If the copy also comes blank, then I'd suggest you try to clean the print head as suggested here: HP Officejet, Deskjet 4600 Printers - Black Ink Not Printing and other Print Quality Issues

Try the steps listed under "Solution 6".

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Got it working.  Thanks very much for your input.

HP Recommended

Hello, @bmichna

Thanks for the update & Great stuff! Glad to know that you were able to fix the issue 🙂

Visit us again if you have any concerns!

Thank you again and may you have a wonderful day and even better tomorrow 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.