Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 5546
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

The duplex printing on my Envy 5546 was working fine.  Now when I print it prints the second page correctly aligned.  After it takes the page back into the printer and it prints the first page, the printing starts half way down the page.  I have tried it with a number of applications e.g. Pages, Word, Acrobat - all the same.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@PeterST,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• When was the last time the printer was working fine?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

While you respond to that, I recommend you remove the printer and then add the printer again as an AirPrint printer and check whether the issue is resolved.

Here is how it is done.

1. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

2. Click Printers & Scanners, and then click the plus sign +.

3. In the Add window, select the name of your printer. Do not select the Fax version.

4. From the Use drop-down menu, click AirPrint. Do not select Secure AirPrint.

5. Click Add. The newly created queue uses standard AirPrint, which is not affected by this issue.

Add a printer in macOS

If you continue facing the issue, I recommend you update the printer firmware following the steps in the below article.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02919168

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi.  Thanks for trying to help me with this.

To answer your questions and suggestions:

• The printer was working fine up until around he middle of this year.  I don't do a lot of printing and so I decided to just print back-to-back manually when it stopped working automatically.  Now I am doing a lot more printing and so I have tried to fix the problem
  • I haven't made any changes, but a lot of the updates happen automatically in the background.  The only updates that I am aware of that would affect multiple applications are the Mac OS security updates
  • I haven't performed any troubleshooting steps as I don't know what they would be
  • I have removed the printer and re-instated it, but the problem persists
  • I have checked on the printer via Setup, and it shows that the printer is up to date
  • I have tried updating the formware manually and this fails with the message that the 'Device is in an error state and cannot be reflashed because of this.  Resolve the probem and try again'.  However the printer works fine manually and I can't see any error messages in the Message Centre.  Turning off/on etc doesn't change this.

Thank again for your help.

Peter

HP Recommended

@PeterST

It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. However, for an accurate solution, I would need more details:

Does it happen when you make a two sided copy?

Could you also print a print quality test report and let me know the results. In order to print the report:

1.) From the printer control panel, touch Setup.

2.) Touch Print Quality Report.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for trying to help.  Two sided copying works fine.  I have also found that printing a pdf from the internet (in this case an instruction manual) works fine.  However a document printed from Word does not.  Also a pdf produced by saving a Word document as a pdf looks fine in Acrobat Reader but doesn't print correctly.

Here is the Print Quality Report

Print Diagnostic.jpeg

HP Recommended

@PeterST

It could be an issue with the printer driver installed on your Mac. Removing the existing printer driver and setting up the printer with Apple AirPrint may resolve the issue. Let's try these steps:

Please ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with it's software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add. 

6.) Try to print.

Keep me posted!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

As before, I tried updating the printer firmware again, and got the same message  that the printer is in an error state.

Tried updating the Mac software and message says that there aren't any updates.

Deleted and added the printer using AirPrint - problem still exists.

However, I did find that there is only a problem for 'long-edge binding' type duplex printing.  If I print 'short-edge binding' it works fine, but of course the second page is upside-down.

Thanks for your help,

Peter

HP Recommended

@PeterST

If the document is landscape you will need to print on a short edge binding. If the document is portrait you will need to print on a long edge binding also try selecting Pages to print as Odd Only from the  Pages to Print menu and change the Page order to Reverse.

1.) Select Paper Handling from the unnamed menu at the center of the window, and then select Odd Only from the Pages to Print menu.

Select Odd Only pages to print

2.) From the Page Order menu, select Reverse.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for your continued help.  Does your latest solution mean that I have to give up on trying to print automatically in Duplex?

Peter

HP Recommended

@PeterST

The steps I suggested was for manual two sided printing,I just wanted to check if the pages comes out properly if we use manual manual two sided printing. That way we can identify if its a software or a hardware failure.

Was the printed pages aligned properly when you performed a manual two sided print?

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.